- School of Engineering
- About Us
Dr. Yuling Yan
Professor and Founding Chair of the Department of Bioengineering
Prof. Yuling Yan is currently a Professor and the Founding Chair of the Department of Bioengineering at SCU. She is also a Consulting Associate Professor in the Department of Otolaryngology, Stanford University School of Medicine. She received the Ph.D. degree in mechanical engineering from Keio University, Yokohama, Japan, in 1991. She held post-doctoral fellow and research associate positions in McGill University (Montreal, Canada) and Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry, Munich, Germany from 1992-1996 where she worked on the development of quantitative image and signal analysis methods for dynamic mechanical and bimolecular systems. From 1997~1999, she served on the engineering faculty at the University of the Ryukyus, Japan, where she initiated research in a new area on robotic control of dexterous manipulators for biomedical applications.Prof. Yan moved to the US in 1999 and while at University of Wisconsin-Madison she collaborated with clinicians on high-speed digital imaging of the human voice production. This period led to the development of novel methods and analytical platform for the processing of laryngeal images and the analysis of vocal fold vibrations that delivers useful clinical information. She was an assistant professor of engineering at University of Hawaii–Manoa from 2002-2005 before moving to the department of Otolaryngology at Stanford University where she is still affiliated as a consulting faculty. She was awarded an NSF grant (2004~2007) for her research on the technology development and application of the high-speed laryngeal imaging.
Prof Yan's research interests center on the basic and translational aspects of voice research including the development of new imaging modalities to study laryngeal dynamics and function with associated approaches for the analysis and modeling of voice production in normal and diseased conditions. She is also participating in a multi-PI project funded by NIH on the development of optical molecular switch probes and novel detection and analytical methods for applications in high contrast, single molecule imaging in cells and tissues.
Current Research Areas
Internship Information for Bioengineering Students
Click here for internship information for Bioengineering Students.
Recent Publications (2005~2009)
Selected Research Publications:
·Research articles/book chapters
1. K. Ahmad, Y. Yan and D. Bless, "Vocal fold vibratory characteristics of healthy geriatric females - analysis of high-speed digital images" (In print).
2. Y. Yan and K. Izdebski. "Integrated Spatio-temporal Analysis of High-Speed Laryngeal Imaging and Abnormal Vocal Functions -Their Role and Applications in the Study of Normal and Abnormal Vocal Functions, in Speech and Language Technology. G. Demenko, Ed. Poznan. 2012.
3. Ahmad K., Yan Y. and D. Bless. "Vocal-fold Vibratory Characteristics in Normal Female Speakers from High-speed DigitalImaging". Journal of Voice. Vol. 26, 2: 239-253. March 2012. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0892199711000142
4. G. Lu, J. Yan, Z. Zhang, J. Shi and Y. Yan. 'Dissection of a Flexible Wing's Performance for Insect-Inspired Flapping-Wing Micro Air Vehicles". Advanced Robotics 26: 409-435, 2012.
5. A. Bhandari, K. Izdebski1, C. Huang and Y. Yan, "Comparative Analysis of Normal Voice Characteristics Using Simultaneous Electroglottography and High speed Digital Imaging". BSPC (Biomedical Signal Processing & Control). Vol. 7, 1: 20-26. January, 2012. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1746809411000590
6. C. Zhu, M. Oda, H. Yu, H. Watanabe and Y. Yan "Walking Support and Power Assistance of a Wheelchair Typed Omnidirectional Mobile Robot with Admittance Control,"in Mobile Robots - Current Trends, Published by InTech. October, 2011. ISBN 978-953-307-716-1(http://www.intechopen.com/articles/show/title/walking-support-and-power-assistance-of-a-wheelchair-typed-omnidirectional-mobile-robot-with-admitta)
7. Yan, Y.,Marriott, M.E., Petchprayoon, C. and Marriott, G. "Optical switches: High-contrast imaging in living cells and tissue". Biochemical Journal. 433, 411–422. 2011. (Unofficial Impact factors for review articles: 17.902)http://www.biochemj.org/bj/subjects/reviews.htm?S=0)
8. Petchprayoon, C, Yan, Y., Mao, S. and Marriott, G. "Rational design, synthesis and characterization of highly fluorescent optical switches for high- contrast optical lock-in detection (OLID) imaging microscopy in living cells". Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry. Vol. 19 (3), 1030-1040. Feb. 2011. doi:10.1016/j.bmc.2010.07.015 (5-yr Impact factor: 3.108 (http://www.journals.elsevier.com/bioorganic-and-medicinal-chemistry/)
9. Yan, Y.and Marriott, G."Optical Manipulation of Protein Activity and Protein Interactions Using Caged Proteins and Optical Switch Protein Conjugates. In Photosensitive Control of Biological Function. Eds. James Chambers & Richard Kramer (2010 online), pp. 213-232. 2011.
10. S. Luo and Y. Yan. "Implementation of a Virtual Laryngoscope System Using Efficient Reconstruction Algorithms". Med Sci Monit, 2009; 15(8): MT 95-100. (Impact Factor: 1.54)
11. Marriott, G., S. Mao, T. Gormez, E. Isacoff and Y. Yan. "Optical Lock-in Detection imaging microscopy for contrast-enhanced imaging in living cells". PNAS (2008); 105(46). pp 17789-17794. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0808882105.(Impact factor: 9.432)
12. S. Mao, R. Benninger, Y. Yan, Piston, D., Jackson, D. & Marriott, G. "Optical lock-in detection of FRET: High-contrast FRET imaging of protein interactions in living cells". Biophysical Journal (2008);94(11):4515-4524. (Impact factor: 4.39)
13. Y. Yan, S. Luo and A. Mcwhorter. "Virtual Laryngoscopy: A Noninvasive Tool for the Assessment of Laryngeal Tumor Extent". Laryngoscope 2007 (117)6:1026-1030. DOI: 10.1097/MLG.0b013e31804f812f (Impact factor: 2.02)
14. Y. Yan, E. Damrose, D. Bless "Functional Analysis of Voice Using Simultaneous High-speed Imaging and Acoustic Recordings" J. of Voice. 2007; (21)5:604-616. (Impact factor: 1.818)
15. Y. Yan, Chen X., D. Bless. "Automatic Tracing of the Vocal-fold Motion from High-speed Laryngeal Image Sequence" IEEE Trans. Biomedical Engineering 2006; 53: 7: 1394-1400. (Impact factor: 2.154)
16. M. Kunduk, Y. Yan, A. McWhorter, D. Bless "Investigation of Voice Initiation and Voice Offset Characteristics with High-speed Digital Imaging" Logopedics Phoniatrics Vocology 2006; 31: 3: 139-144. (Impact factor: 1.175)
17. Y. Yan, K. Ahmad, M. Kunduk and D. Bless. (2005). "Analysis of Vocal-fold Vibrations from High-speed Laryngeal Images Using Hilbert Transform based Methodology". Journal of Voice. 2005; 19:2; 161-175. (Impact factor: 1.818)
18. Sakata, T., Yan, Y. & Marriott, G. (2005). "Optical switching of dipolar interactions on proteins". PNAS. 102, 4759-2764. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0405265102. (Impact factor: 9.432)
19. Lee, H.J., Yan, Y. Marriott, G., Corn, R. (2005). "Quantitative functional analysis of protein complexes on surfaces". J. Physiol (Lond) 2005. 563: 61-71. doi: 10.1113/jphysiol.2004.081117. (Impact factor: 4.764)
20. Petchprayoon, C., Khanit, S. Tanaka, J., Yan, Y. and Marriott, G. (2005). "Fluorescent Kabiramides: New Probes to Quantify Actin in vitro and in vivo". Bioconjugate Chem. 16 (6), 1382 -1389, 2005. (Impact factor: 4.35)
21. T. Sakata, Y. Yan and G. Marriott (2005). "Family of site selective optical switches". J. Organic Chemistry. 2005; 70: 6: 2009-13. (Impact factor: 3.96)
22. J. Tanaka, Y. Yan, J. Choi and G. Marriott. "Biomolecular Mimicry in the Actin Cytoskeleton: Mechanisms Underlying the Cytotoxicity of Kabiramide and Related Macrolides".PNAS (USA). 100:13851-13856. (2003). (Impact factor: 9.432)
23. Y. Yan and G. Marriott, "FRET Image Microscopy and Fluorescence Polarization Image Microscopy".Biophotonics.Methods in Enzymology 360: 560-582 (2003).
24. Y. Yan and G. Marriott, "Analysis of Protein Interactions Using Biophotonics Technologies". Current Opinion in Chemical Biology (2003). 7: 5; 635-640.
25. Y. Yan and G. Marriott. "Molecular imaging of the cytoskeleton using GFP-actin". Progr. Biotech. (2002) 22; 25-38.
26. K. Matsumoto, Y. Yan, T. Kinjyo, T. Yamamoto, "Applications of Wavelets in Signal Recognition", Trans. of Japan Society of Electrical Engineers, (2001)21:1366-1378.
27. W. Sawyer, Chan, R., Eccleston, J, Davidson, B.E., and Y. Yan. "Distances between DNA and ATP Binding Sites in the TyrR-DNA Complex". Biochemistry 39 (2000) pp.5653-5661.
28. Y. Yan, G. Du, C. Zhu and G. Marriott. "Snake Based Automatic Tracing of Vocal-fold Motion From High-speed Digital Imaging". Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing. 2012.
29. Y. Yan. "High-speed digital phonoscopy images analyzed by Nyquist plots". Proc. SPIE 8207, 82071O (2012); http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.918359. (Online Publication Date: Feb 09, 2012)
30. Raul M. Cruz, K. Izdebski and Y. Yan. "Characteristics of mucosal glottic wave analyzed with HSDI-kymography, regional FFT, and red-color pattern after recurrent respiratory papillomatosis treated with laser surgery and intra-lesion bevacizumab injection". Proc. SPIE 8207, 820723 (2012); http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.916771.
31. K. Izdebski, R. Ward, and Y. Yan. "Mucosal wave characteristics in three voice modes (fry, hiss & overpressure) produced by a female speaker: a preliminary study using stroboscopy, HSDI and analyzed by kymography, P-FFT & Nyquist plots".
32. C. Zhu and Y. Yan "Construction of Real-time Brain-Machine-Interface Control System Based on Motor Imagery". Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics (IEEE-ROBIO 2011, to be held in Phuket, Thailand, December 7-11, 2011).
33. Y. Yan, K. Izdebski and E. Marriott. "Spatio-temporal Processing of Massive Glottic Images from High- speed Videoendoscopy". Proc. SPIE (Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers) /Vol. 7883/Laryngeal Imaging with OCT and Related Technologies. 78831S (January 2011); doi:10.1117/12.880497.
34. C. Zhu, M. Suzuki, S. Shimazu, M. Oda, M. Yoshioka, T. Nishikawa and Y. Yan. "Real-time Control of Power Assist Device for Human Elbow Motion Support Using EMG Signal" Proc. of the 8th France-Japan & 6th Europe-Asia Congress on Mechatronics. 2010, pp.474-479.
35. Du, G., Marriott, G. and Yan, Y (2010). An improved optical lock-in detection method for contrast-enhanced imaging in living cells. 4th International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering (iCBBE 2010), pp. 1-5.DOI 10.1109/ICBBE.2010.5516102.
36. C. Zhu, M Oda, M Suzuki, X Luo, H. Watanabe, and Y. Yan "A New Type of Omnidirectional Wheelchair Robot for Walking Support and Power Assistance". Proc. of the 2010 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp.6028 – 6033 (2010)10.1109/IROS.2010.5652805
37. C. Zhu, M. Oda, X. Luo, H. Watanabe and Y. Yan. "Platform Development of an Omnidirectional Mobile Robot for the Elderly's Walking Support and the Caregiver's Power Assistance. Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics (2009). pp. 1900-1905.
38. Y. Yan,K. Izdebski, E. Damroseand D. Bless. "Quantitative Analysis of Diplophonic Vocal Cord Vibratory Pattern from High-speed-digital imaging of the Glottis".Proceedings of the 6th International Workshop on Models and Analysis of Vocal Emissions for Biomedical Applications (MAVEBA). 2009. pp.145-147.
39. K. Izdebski, Y. Yan, M. Kunduk. "Acoustic and High-Speed Digital Imaging Based Analysis of Pathological Voice Contributes to Better Understanding and Differential Diagnosis of Neurological Dysphonias and of Mimicking Phonatory Disorders". Proc. of the Interspeech (2009).
40. R. Konietschke, G. Hirzinger, and Y. Yan. "All Singularities of the 9-DoF DLR Medical Robot Setup for Minimally Invasive Applications". Book chapter: Humanoids and Biomedicine in Advances in Robot Kinematics: Mechanisms and Motion. Edited by J. Lenarcic & B. Roth, Springer Netherlands Pub. 2006. pp. 193-200. DOI: 10.1007/978-1-4020-4941-5_21
41. S Luo, Y Yan. "Virtual Laryngoscopy: A Real-Time Exploration of Laryngeal System based on Rapid Reconstruction Algorithm". Proc. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society.27th Annual Int. Conf. IEEE-EMBS (2005), pp.5157-5160.
42. S.A. Bentil and Y. Yan. "Multispectral Analysis of Diplophonic Voice using Wavelets as a Preprocessing Tool". Proc.Signal and Image Processing, 479,113, 2005.
43. Yan Y., Bless, D. and Chen X. "Biomedical Image Analysis in High-speed Laryngeal Imaging of Voice Production". Proc. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society.27th Annual Int. Conf. IEEE-EMBS (2005), pp. 7684-7687.
44. X Chen, D Bless, Y Yan. "A Segmentation Scheme Based on Rayleigh Distribution Model for Extracting Glottal Waveform from High-speed laryngeal images". Proceedings Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society.27th Annual Int. Conf. IEEE-EMBS (2005), pp.6269-6272.
45. R. Konietschke, H. Weiss, T. Ortmaier, U. Hagn, Y. Yan and Gerd Hirzinger. "A Registration-Free Intraoperative Procedure to Optimally Position the Ports and the Robots in Robotically Assisted Minimally Invasive Surgery". In 4. Jahrestagung der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Computer- und Roboterassistierte Chirurgie (CURAC), Berlin, Germany, Sept. 22-24. 2005.