Convocation for the 2015-2016 academic year will be held on Tuesday, September 15, at 4:00 p.m. This is our first community event ushering in the new academic year before our students arrive on campus. I invite all faculty and staff to attend the annual program which gives me the opportunity to welcome new members to the University community, acknowledge achievements, and highlight past progress and future plans for the upcoming year.
On Friday, July 31, the University community will gather to celebrate the Feast of St. Ignatius with liturgy at 11:30 a.m. in the Mission Church followed by a picnic lunch on the St. Ignatius Lawn. This is a special tradition for Santa Clara and Jesuit institutions around the world when we honor the founder of the Society of Jesus and recall his unique spiritual gifts.
Ignatius left a legacy of spiritual practices that are grounded in our everyday lives and focused on actions that serve the greater glory of God. His was a mission of love, justice and a special concern for the poor, the sick and the hungry.
Please mark you calendars for Friday, July 31, to celebrate our Ignatian roots.
I wish to acknowledge several staff who were recognized at the 28th Annual Staff Recognition Event on June 16. The annual event is an opportunity to acknowledge the special contributions and dedication of the staff to their divisions and to the University.
This year, the Inclusive Excellence Award, renamed in honor of Professor Emeritus Francisco Jimenez, was given to:
- Sandra Hayes, Undergraduate Admission
The following staff received division awards for their respective divisions:
- Butch Coyne, SCU Presents
- Charity Garcia, Undergraduate Admission
- Phil Livak, Campus Safety Services
- Yolanda Murry, Human Resources
- Mike Nuttall, Ignatian Center for Jesuit Education
- Team Award: Jeffrey Baerwald, S.J., Lester Deanes, Matthew Duncan, Kim Gilkey-Wall, Ngoc Nguyen-Mains, and Nora Jamison-Danko from Office of Student Life
- Team Award: Jay Colombatto, Patricia Salazar, and Christi Shaw from University Relations
Congratulations to all!
What's Ahead on My Calendar:
- June 22-24 - California Province Congregation
- June 25-26 - President's Cabinet Leadership Retreat
- June 28-July 5 - Retreat
- July 3 - Independence Day Administrative Holiday
- July 9, 12, 16, 20, 23 - Orientation Welcome
- July 31 - Feast of St. Ignatius Mass and Picnic Lunch
Outcomes of the Board of Trustees Meeting, June 5, 2015
Last week the Board of Trustees convened for their Spring meeting, at which Bob Finocchio concluded his term as chair and Paul Gentzkow was elected as the new board chair. I am pleased that Bob will continue to serve as a member of the board, and I look forward to working with Paul in his new leadership role.
During the meeting, the Board approved a series of proposals recommended by the trustee Academic Affairs Committee. The board voted to approve:
- revisions to the Faculty Handbook that would make Emeritus or Emerita status available to Senior Lecturers (Section 18.104.22.168.3); would extend the privileges of Professor Emeritus to all Emeriti faculty (Section 22.214.171.124); and would update the list of privileges to retired and Emeritus faculty (Section 126.96.36.199);
- a revision to the Faculty Handbook to clarify extensions of the probationary period (Section 188.8.131.52);
- the creation of a new undergraduate major, a Bachelor of Science in Commerce in Individual Studies, to be offered by the Leavey School of Business; and
- the creation of a Master of Science degree in Supply Chain Management to be offered by the Leavey School of Business.
In addition to the election of Paul Gentzkow as the new board chair, the Governance and Nominating Committee recommended and the full board approved several actions including:
- Election of Officers: Peggy Bradshaw (Vice Chair), Larry Sonsini (Secretary), Molly McDonald (Assistant Secretary), John Ottoboni (Assistant Secretary), Jack Lewis (Treasurer), Michael Hindery (Assistant Treasurer), Harry Fong (Assistant Treasurer); and
- Reelection of Trustees whose terms were expiring: Kristi Markkula Bowers, Howard Charney, Gerald Cobb, S.J., Robert Finocchio, Rebecca Guerra, Ellen Hancock, Richard Justice, Timothy Lannon, S.J., William Leahy, S.J., Jack Lewis, Jeff Miller, Edward Panelli, Elizabeth Rafael, Stephen Schott, Larry Sonsini, Mary Stevens, William Terry, Charmaine Warmenhoven.
As part of the discussion items of the meeting, the board received updates on the comprehensive campaign, the emeriti trustees program, facilities master planning, and the Miller Center for Social Entrepreneurship. In other business, Kirk Syme provided a report from the Board of Regents and summarized their STEM discussion from their last meeting. Faculty Senate President James Lai and President-Elect Robert Numan briefed the board on activities of the FSC during the past year and articulated issues to be addressed in the coming year. James thanked the board and University leadership for their engagement. Student body president Anaisy Tolentino and incoming president Aaron Poor reported on student life matters. Following the meeting, the Faculty Senate Council joined the board for lunch.