I invite the University community to participate in the Month of Remembrance. Throughout November we honor a long-held tradition in Christian churches when we recall our departed loved ones and pray for their peace. Here are some ways to take part:
- attend the special Mass of Remembrance on Monday, November 3 at noon, when we celebrate the lives of loved ones and members of the University community who have died.
- submit your personal prayer requests for departed family and friends through the online form. The names of your special intentions will be collected through October 29 and placed in the Book of Names in the Mission Church for remembrance until November 30.
- attend the Misa en Espanol on November 6 at 8:00 p.m.
- inscribe the names of deceased loved ones in the Book of Names in the Mission Church.
- share photos and momentos of loved ones at the Altar of Remembrance in the Mission Church.
My hope is that the prayers we offer throughout the month bring a sense of peace and consolation to all of us who have lost loved ones.
What's Ahead on My Calendar:
- October 23 - Red Mass
- October 24 - Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities Annual Meeting
- October 27 - University Honors Reading Group Dinner
- October 28 - Administrative Leaders Meeting
- October 28 - Thriving Neighbors Initiative Opening Ceremony
- October 29 - Graduate Theological Union Board of Trustees Meeting
- October 30 - JST Board of Directors Meeting
- November 1 - USF Inauguration of Paul Fitzgerald, S.J.
- November 8 - St. Bernard's High School Alumni Event in Los Angeles
- November 11-14 - Commemoration of the 25th Anniversary of the UCA Martyrs in El Salvador
- November 16 - Mass for the 25th Anniversary of the UCA Martyrs at Mission Santa Clara
- November 21 - West Coast Conference Meeting
Celebration of the Mass of the Holy Spirit
On Wednesday, October 8, 2014, at 12:00 p.m. in the Mission Church, we will celebrate our annual Mass of the Holy Spirit, followed by a picnic lunch on The Alameda Mall. At this special liturgy, Santa Clara will continue the centuries-old tradition among Catholic colleges and universities of calling upon the Holy Spirit to guide and bless us in our work throughout the academic year. Through our common prayer, we call on the Spirit of God to be with us in all our works, activities, and endeavors. While the Mass is a Roman Catholic liturgy, we appreciate the diversity of faiths within our community, and we welcome one and all to join the celebration.
To enable the campus community to attend the Mass, classes will not meet between 11:45 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. that day. Classes that usually meet from 11:45 a.m. to 12:50 p.m. will be cancelled. Classes scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. will instead begin at 1:15 p.m.
What's Ahead on My Calendar
- September 25-26 - Boston College Board of Trustees Meeting
- September 27-October 1 - Meeting in Rome for the Vatican Congregation for Catholic Education
- October 2 - UCC Governance Orientation
- October 3 - Bannan Institute Guest Speaker Cornel West
- October 8 - Mass of the Holy Spirit and Picnic
- October 8 - Dedication of the Bronco Statue
- October 9 - Jerry Smith Coaching for Life Academy Kick-off Event
- October 9 - President's Speaker Series with Ronnie Lott
- October 10 - Board of Regents Meeting
- October 10 - Bronco Bench Oktoberfest
- October 10-12 - Grand Reunion Weekend
- October 11 - Gianera Society Lunch
- October 12-13 - AJCU Presidents Meeting
- October 16-17 - Board of Trustees Meeting
- October 18 - Diaconate Ordination for Society of Jesus
- October 18-19 - Undergraduate Admission Open House
At last week's Faculty Recognition Awards Celebration, several faculty were honored for their exemplary work as teachers and as scholars. Congratulations to this year's award recipients:
- Silvia Figueira, Computer Engineering - President's Special Recognition Award
- Kyle Graham, Law School - President's Special Recognition Award
- Lucy Ramos-Sánchez, Counseling Psychology - President's Special Recognition Award
- Craig Stephens, Public Health Program and Biology Department - President's Special Recognition Award
- Kieran Sullivan, Psychology - Award for Sustained Excellence in Scholarship
- Yongtae Kim, Accounting - Award for Recent Achievement in Scholarship
- Tonya Nilsson, Civil Engineering - The Brutocao Family Foundation Award for Curriculum Innovation
- Sally Wood, Electrical Engineering - The Brutocao Family Foundation Award for Curriculum Innovation
- Patti Simone, Psychology - The Louis and Dorina Brutocao Award for Teaching Excellence
- Sarita Tamayo-Moraga, Religious Studies - Inclusive Excellence Award
- Robert Senkewicz, History - Faculty Senate Professor Award
Congratulatations also go to the staff members who were honored with awards at the Staff Recognition event on June 18. The annual event is an opportunity to acknowledge the special contributions and dedication of the staff to their divisions and to the University. Awards were presented to:
- Joe Sugg, University Operations
- Sheli Whiting, Office of the Registrar
- Maureen Muscat, Alumni Office
- Team Award: Rebecca Schapp, Lindsey Kouvaris, Chris Sicat from de Saisset Museum, and Jan Lam and Jan Orvick formerly from de Saisset Museum
- Team Award: Maria Gutierrez, Jeffrey Roush,and Cindy Tirado from Financial Aid Office
- Team Award: Karrie Grasser, Joni Berticevich, Elizabeth Carter, Mary Johnson, Blake Malcom, and Stephanie Woitte from Event Planning Office