Chapter 4: Academic Information

Engineering Honor Code

The Engineering Honor Code is a long-standing Santa Clara tradition; instituted at the request of engineering students, it states: All students taking courses in the School of Engineering agree, individually and collectively, that they will not give or receive unpermitted aid in examinations or other coursework that is to be used by the instructor as the basis of grading. Students and teachers cooperate and share responsibilities under the code. Teachers are responsible for making clear what aid is permissible and for using procedures that minimize temptations to violate the code. Students are responsible for behaving honorably, for actively ensuring that others, as well as themselves, uphold the code, and for being responsive to violations. Alleged violations should be reported to the Office of the Dean.

Enrichment Experience

The Enrichment Experience is an 8 unit requirement that is common to all departments in the School of Engineering. The various components that are associated with this requirement were designed to broaden the scope of the student’s knowledge, and develop certain skills that are widely perceived as essential for operating in a global environment (such as the ability to communicate clearly, to function on interdisciplinary and diverse teams, and to make ethically and socially responsible decisions).

In order to fulfill this requirement, students must take a course in at least two of the three areas (Emerging Topics in Engineering, Engineering and Business/Entrepreneurship, and Engineering and Society) in the Graduate Core (for a minimum of 4 units). Graduate Core

The remaining 4 units can be accumulated by:

  1. Taking one or more major technical electives
  2. Taking additional classes from the Graduate Core
  3. Taking Cooperative Education courses
  4. Combining courses from categories (a), (b) and (c)

Through the Enrichment Experience, in conjunction with students’ specific program of study, Engineering graduate students will achieve the following objectives:

1. Academic competence
Graduate students will demonstrate broad content knowledge and the ability to integrate and apply concepts from their course of study to professional situations.

2. Creative and collaborative learning
Graduate students will demonstrate an ability to collaborate in creative ways, and communicate effectively with professionals and others in their discipline.

3. Professional development
Graduate students will exhibit professionalism, consistent with the University’s Jesuit mission, that includes attention to ethics, integrity, and responsible engagement with their communities–both locally and globally.

Graduate Core Areas and Topics

Emerging Topics in Engineering

  • AMTH 308 Theory of Wavelets
  • AMTH 351 Quantum Computing
  • AMTH 367 Mathematical Finance
  • AMTH 387 Cryptology
  • BIOE 256/ENGR 256 Introduction to Nanobioengineering
  • CENG 213 Sustainable Materials
  • CENG 215 Sustainable Structural Engineering
  • CENG 219 Designing for Sustainable Construction
  • CENG 282 Introduction to Building Information Modeling
  • ELEN 280/MECH 287 Introduction to Alternative Energy Systems
  • ELEN 285 Introduction to the Smart Grid
  • ENGR 260 Nanoscale Science and Technology
  • ENGR 273 Sustainable Energy and Ethics
  • ENGR 371/MECH 371 Space Systems Design and Engineering I
  • ENGR 372/MECH 372 Space Systems Design and Engineering II
  • MECH 268 Computational Fluid Dynamics I

Engineering and Business/Entrepreneurship

  • AMTH 367 Mathematical Finance
  • CENG 208 Engineering Economics and Project Finance
  • CENG 292 Infrastructure Project Management
  • COEN 287 Software Development Process Management
  • ENGR 245 Innovation, Entrepreneurship and the Evolution of Silicon Valley
  • ENGR 302 Managing in the Multicultural Environment
  • ENGR 304 Building Global Teams
  • ENGR 336 Engineering for the Developing World
  • ENGR 338 Mobile Applications for Emerging Markets
  • ENGR 350 Success in Global Emerging Markets
  • ENGR 351 New Paradigm for Technology-Global Mindfulness Leadership
  • Any 2-unit course in Engineering Management and Leadership (EMGT)

Engineering and Society

  • BIOE 210 Ethical Issues in Bioengineering
  • CENG 208 Engineering Economics and Project Finance
  • COEN 250 Information Security Management
  • COEN 288 Software Ethics
  • ELEN 217 Chaos Theory, Metamathematics, and the Limits of Science: An Engineering Perspective on Religion
  • ENGR 261 Nanotechnology and Society
  • ENGR 272 Energy Public Policy
  • ENGR 273 Sustainable Energy and Ethics
  • ENGR 302 Managing in the Multicultural Environment
  • ENGR 303 Gender and Engineering
  • ENGR 304 Building Global Teams
  • ENGR 306 Engineering and the Law
  • ENGR 330 Law, Technology, and Intellectual Property
  • ENGR 332 How Engineers, Businesspeople, and Lawyers Communicate With Each Other
  • ENGR 334 Energy, Climate Change, and Social Justice
  • ENGR 336 Engineering for the Developing World
  • ENGR 340 Distributed & Renewable Energy for the Developing World
  • ENGR 341 Innovation, Design and Spirituality
  • ENGR 342 3D Print Technology and Society
  • ENGR 343 Science, Religion and the Limits of Knowledge
  • ENGR 344 Artificial Intelligence and Ethics
  • ENGR 349 Topics in Frugal Engineering
  • ENGR 351-New Paradigm for Technology-Global Mindfulness Leadership

Note 1: Although certain courses (such as ENGR 302, ENGR 304, ENGR 336, and AMTH 367 for example) may appear in multiple categories, they cannot be used to satisfy more than one Core requirement. Students are encouraged to periodically check for updates regarding new courses in these areas on the graduate engineering website under current student resources.

Note 2: The 4 unit Core requirement that is part of the Enrichment Experience cannot be waived, and no substitutions will be approved.

Note 3: Transfer credit is not approved for core courses, and all core courses must be taken at SCU.


Classes are taught in the following time slots: 7:10-9:00 a.m., 5:10-7:00 p.m., and 7:10-9:00 p.m., Monday through Friday with some Saturday and/or Sunday offerings; 2-unit courses meet one day per week, and four-unit courses meet two days per week. All students are expected to attend the first class meeting of the quarter. Failure to do so can result in an academic withdrawal from the professor of the course.

Standards Of Scholarship

Only courses in which the student has earned assigned grades of A, B, or C, with plus (+) or minus (-) variations, may be counted for the Master’s or Ph.D. degree. The student must earn a 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) overall, and a 3.0 grade point average (GPA) in their major in the approved minimum 46 units required for the completion of the M.S. degree or the approved minimum 72 units required for the Ph.D. degree. Only credits, not grade points, are transferred from other institutions.

Students who have not met the cumulative 3.0 GPA overall or in their major for two consecutive active quarters are eligible for dismissal. The student’s advisor and Department Chair will be notified about their GPA status by e-mail. The decision to be dismissed from the program will be based on a departmental vote, which will be conducted at the request of the advisor and/or Department Chair, and with approval from the Associate Dean for Graduate Programs. Students who have been dismissed from the program can appeal to the Department Chair, and subsequently to the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies.

EMGT Major Note: In addition to the cumulative GPA requirement, Engineering Management students must also maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher in their EMGT and technical courses.

Note 1: Only classes with assigned grades of C- or higher will count toward the completion of the certificates, M.S., or Ph.D. degrees. The grades of all courses completed during the certificate, M.S. or Ph.D. program are used to compile final grade point average (GPA).

Note 2: Directed Research, Independent Study, and Engineering courses will not go toward the student’s’major GPA. Only major subject courses will be calculated in the students’ major GPA.

Grading System

The grades A, B, C, and D may be modified by (+) or (-) suffixes, except that the grade of A may not be modified by a (+). Grade point values per unit are assigned as follows: A = 4.0; A- = 3.7; B+ = 3.3; B = 3.0; B- = 2.7; C+ = 2.3; C = 2; C- = 1.7; D+ = 1.3; D = 1.0; D- = 0.7. F= 0., I (incomplete), P (pass), NP (no pass), and W (withdrawn) are all assigned zero points. Unit credit, but not grade point credit, is awarded when the grade of P is assigned. The P (pass) and NP (no pass) options are not available in engineering management courses.

The University also uses the following marks: AUD (audit), I (incomplete), N (continuing work), NP (not passed), NS (no show), and W (withdrawn). No unit credit or grade point value is granted for any of these marks.

Please note: Only classes with assigned grades of C- or higher will count toward the completion of the certificates, M.S. or Ph.D. degrees. However, all graded courses will count toward the student’s cumulative grade point average (GPA)

Nongraded Courses

Courses such as seminars (with the exception of COEN 400 and ELEN 200), Co-ops, etc., are limited to a total of four units and must be approved by the student’s advisor.

Incomplete Grades

A student’s work may be reported incomplete if, due to illness or other serious circumstance, some essential portion of the coursework remains unfinished after the final examination, or if the thesis has not been completed. An incomplete (I) becomes a failure (F) unless the unfinished work is completed to the satisfaction of the instructor and proper notice is filed with the Office of the Registrar within four weeks from the beginning of the next scheduled quarter, not including summer session. Makeup work must be in the hands of the instructor no later than the end of the third week so that the instructor can meet the four-week submission deadline. An N grade for a thesis course indicates continuing work. A final grade must be submitted before graduation.

Auditing Courses

A student may take courses with a grading basis of “audit” but needS to keep in mind the following:

  • The current graduate tuition rate of $1083.00 per unit + the $180.00 engineering fee will be charged.
  • No grade points or credit will be earned so the class cannot be counted toward the completion of a certificate, M.S. or Ph.D.
  • A student will need to register for the class, then send an email to the Director of Records requesting that the grading basis be changed to “Audit”:
  • The last day to request to audit a course is at the end of the first week of the quarter.

Repeating Courses

A student may, with the permission of the department, repeat a course in which a grade of C- or lower was received on the first attempt. All grades, whether received on the first or second attempt, will be used in computing overall student performance. The units from a course may be counted only once in fulfilling graduation requirements.

Withdrawal From Courses

Students may change their course registration as stated in the Academic Calendar. Withdrawal from any course may be accomplished up to the 7th Friday of the term. After the fourth week of the quarter, a withdrawal will be recorded as W on the transcript. After the tenth Friday, an emergency that qualifies may be handled as an incomplete (I). Dropping a course without a formal withdrawal will result in a grade of F. Deadlines are strictly adhered to and will result in loss of tuition refund.

Program Of Studies

During the first quarter of enrollment, a student in the M.S. degree program is required to meet with a faculty advisor to complete a Program of Studies (POS) form. Students can contact their major department for available advisors. The POS must include all planned courses, units and any transfer credit approved by the department. The POS must be signed by the advisor then submitted to the Engineering Graduate Programs Office before the end of the first quarter of enrollment. Failure to do so will result in a registration hold. Variations from the approved Program of Studies may be made either with written approval of the advisor or submitting an updated Program of Studies form with the advisor’s signature to the Engineering Graduate Programs Office. The final Program of Studies form, including all units and transfer credits, must be submitted during the student’s last quarter for graduation.

Please Note: Extension, online and continuing education units are not accepted for transfer credit.

Courses Transferred From Santa Clara University

M.S. students who have an undergraduate degree from Santa Clara University can transfer up to 12 units of eligible graduate level coursework into the program.

  • Only those courses completed with a C grade or better will be eligible for transfer.
  • The units will not transfer if they have been used for another degree.
  • Since these courses were taken at SCU, the grades will count toward the overall grade point average.

Courses Transferred From Other Institutions

All M.S. students have the option to transfer a maximum of six semester or nine quarter units of graduate level coursework from an accredited institution into their degree program with their advisor’s approval. All Ph.D. students have the option to transfer a maximum of 12 semester or 18 quarter units of graduate level coursework from an accredited institution into their degree program with their advisor’s approval. Please keep the following in mind when transferring units:

  • Only those courses completed with a C grade or better will be eligible for transfer.
  • Extension, continuing education, and online courses may not be transferred.
  • The units will not transfer if they have been used for another degree.
  • Only the credit will transfer, but not grades; so the overall grade point average will be based on coursework completed at Santa Clara University only.
  • An official transcript and course syllabus is required for verification of the units by the student’s advisor and Engineering Graduate Programs.
  • In order to transfer units into a degree program, please follow this procedure:
  • Include those units you wish to transfer in the “Transfer Credit” section of the Program of Studies form and include the Institution Name, Course Number and Title, Grade, Units*, Year and (if applicable) the SCU equivalent course. If no equivalent course is listed, the transfer credit will be processed as general transfer credit. (*Note that 1 semester unit is equivalent to 1.5 quarter units. Please put the quarter unit value on the Program of Studies so that the final total will be correct.)
  • The student’s academic advisor must sign the Program of Studies form and submit it to the Engineering Graduate Programs Office.
  • The Graduate Programs Office must have an official transcript from the school you are transferring units from to review and approve the transfer credit request.

NOTE: Courses that were taken more than 10 years ago are generally not acceptable for transfer credit. Students who wish to request an exception must petition the department Chair and receive a written approval with a justification. The final approval is given by the Associate Dean for Graduate Programs.

Petition For Graduation

It is a student’s responsibility to file a petition for graduation no later than the last day to petition for graduate degrees as indicated in the Academic Calendar. The petition to graduate will only be accepted through online submission and may be found on the graduate engineering website under current student resources : All graduating students must submit a final program of studies and enroll in at least one unit for their final quarter.

Please Note: Eligibility to participate in the June Commencement ceremony will be based on the completion of all requirements, all units and a thesis, by the end of the spring quarter or participation in the ceremony will be delayed until the following June.

Cooperative Education Option

The objective of cooperative education is to provide students with the opportunity, through the interaction of study and work experience, to enhance their academic knowledge, to further their personal work experience, and to learn about working with people. The Cooperative Education option integrates classroom work with practical industrial experience. It alternates or parallels periods of college education with periods of practical training in industry. The industrial training is related to the field of study in which the student is engaged and often is diversified to afford a wide range of experience. To qualify for this study option, students must complete at least 24 graduate level units at Santa Clara University. Please note that COEN 900 level courses and transfer credit do not count toward the 24-unit requirement.

Students who wish to pursue this option through curricular practical training (CPT) must enroll in ENGR 288. This class is a prerequisite for ENGR 289, and must be taken before you begin an internship. To be eligible to enroll in ENGR 288 students must complete at least 16 units of graduate level courses by the end of their second quarter at SCU, or demonstrate that they will complete 24 units of graduate-level coursework by the end of their third quarter with department chair approval. Those who plan to start (or continue) their CPT after they have taken ENGR 288 must enroll in ENGR 289 (which is allowed for credit up to three times).** Students who were authorized for CPT but did not receive a passing grade in ENGR 288 or ENGR 289 will not be eligible for future CPT authorization since they did not complete the academic requirements associated with their internship.

** Note 1: ENGR 288 is not offered in the summer quarter. Students who plan to participate in a summer internship need to enroll in ENGR 288 in the Spring quarter.

Concurrent Enrollment

Concurrent Enrollment means that a student is enrolled in two places at the same time. An international student at Santa Clara University may be given permission to engage in Concurrent Enrollment provided the student meets the following USCIS requirements:

  • Combined enrollment amounts to a full course of study
  • The student has been granted permission from a faculty advisor to enroll at another college (advisor must sign Concurrent Enrollment Form)
  • Must receive written approval from DSO at International Student Services
  • The student is making normal progress at Santa Clara and is not in danger of probation or disqualification
  • Any NON-vocational coursework from the other school will be accepted for fulfilling degree requirements at SCU

For more information, please contact the International Student Services Office at 408-554-4318 or refer to website:

Non-enrollment Period

Students in the Master’s and Ph.D. program are expected to enroll in at least one unit for the fall, winter and spring quarters. Those students who do not wish to enroll must submit a leave of absence or a withdrawal form to the Engineering Graduate Programs Office. A leave of absence form is required if a student plans to miss one or two quarters, while a more prolonged absence requires a withdrawal form. Students who wish to resume their Master’s or Ph.D. studies after a leave of absence or withdrawal from the program must submit a returning student form. The forms can be found on the graduate engineering website: under current student resources. Leave of absence or withdrawal forms must be submitted by the end of the first week of the quarter. Returning student’s forms must be submitted three weeks prior to the start of the quarter returning. Please note the return request is not guaranteed.

M.S. students are required to complete their degree within six years from their original admit term date. The six-year time frame includes quarters during which a student was not enrolled. Ph.D. students are required to complete their degree within eight years from their original admit term date. The eight-year time frame includes quarters during which a student is not enrolled.

Note: Students who miss a quarter and fail to submit the appropriate form(s) with the Graduate Programs Office will be automatically discontinued as a no show status and will be required to submit a returning student form. This is the same procedure for students who took a leave of absence or withdrew from the program.

Withdrawal From The University

Withdrawal from the University is not officially complete until students clear all of their financial obligations with the Bursar’s Office. Students on deferments or a Federal Perkins Loan must also clear their financial obligations with the Credit Counseling Office.

Student Records And Release Of Information

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is the federal law that protects the confidentiality of the educational records of students maintained by the University and affords students certain rights with respect to those records. A student is any person who attends or has attended a class at the University, which includes courses taken through videoconference, satellite, internet, or other electronic and telecommunication technologies. Students' rights under FERPA include:

The right to inspect and review educational records

Students have the right to inspect and review their education records. Students should submit a written request to the Office of the Registrar that specifies what records the students would like to inspect and review. Within 45 days of receipt of the request, the Office of the Registrar will make arrangements for access and will notify students of the time and place where the records may be reviewed.

The right to seek amendment to educational records

Students have the right to request the amendment of their educational records to ensure that those records are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of students' privacy or other rights. Students who wish to seek an amendment to a record should write the University Registrar, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it should be changed. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested, the University will notify students in writing of the decision and their right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to students when notified of the right to a hearing.

Students have the right to consent to the disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in their educational records. In some instances, the University may disclose personally identifiable information from a student's educational record without the student's consent. One such instance is to a school official who has a legitimate educational interest in the record. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position; a person elected to the Board of Trustees; or a person or entity under contract with the University who has been designated a school official by the University and is performing specific duties for the University that require a legitimate educational interest.

A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review any educational records in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.

The University is authorized under provisions of FERPA to release directory information without the student's prior consent, unless a student explicitly requests in writing that the University not do so and keep directory information confidential.

Directory information is designated as follows:

  • Name
  • Address: Campus post office box, local, and permanent addresses (residence hall and room numbers are not disclosed)
  • Telephone number
  • Email address
  • Photograph
  • Date and place of birth
  • Major field of study
  • Classification level/academic standing
  • Dates of attendance (defined as academic year or quarter)
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams
  • Degrees (including expected or actual degree date), honors and awards received, and dates
  • Most recent educational agency or institution attended

Students may submit a Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information form to the Office of the Registrar, which directs the University not to disclose directory information. Once filed, the nondisclosure remains in effect until the beginning of the next academic year or a shorter period if designated by a student. Graduating students must notify the Office of the Registrar in writing to remove the nondisclosure from their record.

Former or current borrowers of funds from any Title IV student loan program should note carefully that nondisclosure will not prevent the University from releasing information pertinent to employment, enrollment status, current address, and loan account status to a school lender, subsequent holder, guarantee agency, the United States Department of Education, or an authorized agent.

The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education

Students have the right to file a complaint with the United States Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. Written complaints should be directed to the Family Policy Compliance Office, Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue SW, Washington, D.C. 20202-5920.

For further information regarding Santa Clara University's FERPA policy, please refer to, or contact the Office of the Registrar.

Campus Security And Crime Statistics Act

In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, Santa Clara University annually collects information about campus crimes and other reportable incidents as defined by the law. Information presented in compliance with this act is made available to assist current and potential students and employees in making informed decisions regarding their attendance or employment at the University. These reports and other information about the law are available on the Campus Safety website. It is the policy of Santa Clara University that the campus community will be informed on a timely basis of all reports of crime and other information affecting the security of our campus and the personal safety of our students, faculty, staff, and guests.

results matching ""

    No results matching ""