DMCA Procedure at SCU
This is the process the university will follow regarding DMCA notices:
- IT will be notified and asked to identify the person owning the computer.
- Next, IT will disable that computer's interface to connect to the campus network.
- This may mean that the individual will have to use publically available computers to continue with their academic work.
- Flash drives can be useful to transfer files from your “network blocked” computer to a public computer so you can work on them.
- You will be asked to contact IT, (408) 554-5700, and discuss the DMCA notice.
- The notice will be reviewed with you, explain what is happening and why, and review the works you are allegedly infringing.
- You will have the opportunity to produce legal authorization that shows you are not violating copyright, if you have such authorization.
- You are then referred to the Dean of Students office.
- You will have an opportunity to discuss this with a member of the Dean of Students office, and discuss what, if any, judicial actions may be considered.
- Is this a first time or repeat activity?
- The Dean of Students office will refer you back to IT.
- Your system will be inspected to insure all infringing works have been removed. IT can help with this if needed.
- Once “cleaned”, your network access for this computer will be re-enabled.