Welcome to EmpowerED SCU 2024!
EmpowerED SCU is a collaborative event hosted by the Office of Undergraduate Admission, the Latiné Student Union, and SCU Igwebuike, our Black Student Union. This event is made for prospective students in hopes of promoting college-access and allowing students to envision themselves in the spaces they deserve to be in.
Event Postponed till May 2024!
Meet Your Keynote Speakers
- Dr. Kai HarrisHometown: Detroit, MICurrent Role: Assistant Professor of Creative Writing at Santa Clara University in the English DepartmentBio: Dr. Kai Harris is a writer and educator from Detroit, Michigan, who uses her voice to uplift the Black community through realistic fiction centered on the Black experience. Her critically acclaimed debut novel, What the Fireflies Knew, won the 2023 Phillis Wheatley Book Award (Fiction), was long-listed for the Center for Fiction’s First Novel Prize, and nominated for an NAACP Image Award, amongst other honors. Additional publication credits include Guernica, Lit Hub, and The New York Times Book Review. Kai resides in the Bay Area with her family, where she is an Assistant Professor of Creative Writing at Santa Clara University. Learn more about Kai and her writing journey at www.authorkaiharris.com or on social media @authorkaiharris.Advice: It is OKAY to not know everything. Don't expect to have all the answers or to know exactly what you want to do with your life at such a young age. Instead, put yourself in spaces where you can learn, explore, and discover yourself. With time, you'll figure it all out. Until then, just enjoy the ride!Song that brings me joy: Rihanna's 2016 Anti album... one of my favorite albums of all time! Still waiting for her to put out another album.
- Dr. Silvia FigueiraHometown: Rio de Janeiro, BrazilBio: Dr. Silvia Figueira received her B.S. and M.S. degrees in Computer Science from the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), Brazil, and her Ph.D. degree also in Computer Science from the University of California, San Diego. Currently, she is the Regis and Dianne McKenna Professor and Chair of the Computer Science and Engineering Department at Santa Clara University. Her current research focuses on technology for social impact and sustainable development. Her efforst have led to the creation of the Global Digital Transformation Clinic, through which she advises students working on mobile applications for low-resource communities and emerging markets. She has published over 80 papers and has established several collaborations with both companies in Silicon Valley and social entrepreneurs in the United States and abroad.Advice for students: Don't assume anything. Talk to a lot of people and ask lots of questions.Song that brings me joy: Brazilian Music
Meet Your EmpowerED SCU Planning Committee
- Hydeia Wysinger ('25)
Hometown: El Sobrante, CA
Majors and Minors: Psychology and Public Health Majors, Religious Studies and Political Science Minors
Advice for students: Do plenty of research on the schools that you are interested in applying to. It is equally important to make sure that the school(s) you are applying to is a great fit for you!
Song that brings me joy: Confidence - Ocean Alley
- Ingrid Sanchez Claudio ('26)
Hometown: San Jose, CA
Major: Accounting and Information Systems
Advice for students: Don't be afraid to ask for help during the application process! Many people were in your shoes once and would love to help you get through it as well. There is no such things as a dumb question.
Song that brings me joy: Good Days - Sza
- Ysidro Magana ('26)
Hometown: Morgan Hill, CA
Majors and Minors: Mechanical Engineering Major with a Electrical Engineering minor
Advice for students: Ask many questions, be persistent, try to work on essays during the summer, and do not hold yourself back from applying to any school due to the acceptance rate or cost. Visit as many colleges as you can, in general try to work on researching the details of the school.
Song that brings me joy: Sonrisa - Eladio Carrion
Meet the Collaborative Team
Igwebuike - Black Student Union
Igwebuike unites Black-identifying students across Santa Clara University through campus programming, community events, and social justice initiatives to celebrate the African Diaspora.
Featured Events: Love Jones, Culture Show, Igwe Formal, and Retreat.
LSU - Latiné Student Union
LSU unifies and gives voice to the Latiné community and our allies to create a safe, inclusive, and respectful space where we can organize together and empower each other.
Featured Events: Día de los Muertos, Open Forums, Gala Latina, Culture Show, Familias
College and Organization Fair
Below is the list of participating Colleges, Universities, Offices, and Student Organizations that you will be able to meet, network, and ask questions. The list will continue to update!
- Santa Clara University - Office of Undergraduate Admission
- University of San Francisco - Office of Undergraduate Admission
- St. Mary's College of California - Office of Undergraduate Admission
- University of the Pacific - Office of Undergraduate Admission
- West Valley College - Admission
- SCU LEAD Scholars Program
- African Student Association
- Alpha Kappa Psi
- Black Business Association
- Delpta Epsilon Mu, Inc.
- Delta Sigma Pi
- Ethnic Studies Club
- Hermanas Unidas de SCU
- Latino Business Student Association
- Latiné Student Union
- Queer and Qualified
- Queer People of Color Association
- Rho Psi Eta (Pre-Health Sorority)
- Together for Ladies of Color
- Multicultural Center
- Santa Clara Community Action Program
- Into the Wild