SCU students enrolled at least half-time (and ALL F-1/J-1 visa students) are automatically enrolled in the SCU-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan. However, you have the option to waive this enrollment if your current insurance plan meets the requirements listed below under Waiver Requirements.
Learn more about insurance at SCU, as well as answers to Frequently Asked Questions, on our Insurance home page.
- F-1 visa students will be automatically enrolled into the SHIP regardless of number of units, and can waive enrollment ONLY if the student is either
- a primary subscriber on a U.S. employer-offered, Affordable Care Act-compliant plan.
- a dependent on a spouse/parent/partner’s U.S. employer-offered, Affordable Care Act-compliant plan.
- J-1 visa students will be automatically enrolled into the SHIP regardless of number of units, and are NOT eligible to waive enrollment.
Click here for waiver and enrollment forms, as well as additional information from Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk.
Waiver Periods and Deadlines
The waiver form must be submitted by the deadline, or the student will be automatically enrolled into SHIP and their student account will be charged. The 2022-2023 annual health insurance waiver period will open on June 1, 2022. Students must submit a new waiver every academic year. Please note that J-1 visa students are NOT eligible to waive SHIP coverage.
Select your academic program below to view waiver deadlines:
|Waiver Period||Waiver Deadlines|
|Waiver Period||Waiver Deadline|
To be eligible to waive enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), your own health insurance plan MUST include the following:
- Coverage for medical evacuation of $50,000 and repatriation of remains of $25,000 (for F-1 Visa international students; click here for relevant forms and information)
- Full compliance with the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
- Unlimited lifetime maximum coverage
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions, with no waiting period
- Coverage for inpatient and outpatient hospitalization in Santa Clara County
- Access to local doctors, specialists, hospitals, and other health care providers in emergency and non-emergency situations in Santa Clara County
- Coverage for lab work, diagnostic X-rays, emergency room treatment, ambulance services, and prescription coverage in Santa Clara County
- Coverage for inpatient and outpatient mental health
- Be underwritten by a U.S.-based insurance company
The following types of insurance will NOT be accepted for waivers:
- Travel Insurance
- Short-term medical plans
- Socialized medicine policies, including Canadian policies
- International insurance plans are underwritten in a country outside of the United States
- California Medi-Cal or out-of-state Medicaid health plans that do not have assigned benefit coverage in Santa Clara County