Appointment of the Commission
March 29, 2016
Dear Faculty, Staff, and Students,
Events on our campus and across the nation have led many to question the effectiveness and adequacy of programs to achieve diversity and inclusion. The Unity 4 movement has inspired many of us to work harder to create transformational change to make Santa Clara a more diverse, compassionate, and just university.
To that end, I have convened a Blue Ribbon Commission on Diversity and Inclusion that includes campus representatives, alumni, and community leaders. The Commission will develop strategies that will help us to create the change we wish to see. Among other things, the Commission will consider how to improve the recruitment and retention of students, faculty, and staff of color and how to help the University become a more inclusive and diverse community for all populations. The Commission will undertake its work over the next several months and submit a formal report with recommendations in the fall of 2016.
I am pleased to report the membership of the committee as follows:
- Fred Ferrer, CEO, The Health Trust (Chair)
- Ed Alvarez, President and Chairman of the Board, The Foundation for Hispanic Education
- Aldo Billingslea, Associate Provost for Diversity & Inclusion and Professor of Theatre Arts, Santa Clara University
- Elsa Chen, Interim Associate Provost for Faculty Development and Associate Professor of Political Science, Santa Clara University
- Isabel Duron, Former Director, Multicultural Center, Santa Clara University; Doctoral Student, Chicana/o Studies, UCLA
- Sandra Hayes, Former Dean of Undergraduate Admission and Special Assistant to Vice President for Enrollment Management, Santa Clara University
- Ronnie Lott, Founder, All Stars Helping Kids
- Kyle Ozawa, Head of Business Operations, Invoice2go
- Risë R. Pichon, Presiding Superior Court Judge, Superior Court of Santa Clara
- Jason Rodriguez, Vice President, Head of Global Government Relations, Hewlett Packard
- Lisa Stevens, Executive Vice President, Wells Fargo
- Richard Taylor, Senior Vice President for Human Resources, Intel
As staff to the Commission, Dr. Lisa Millora, Senior Assistant Provost for Strategic Initiatives and Provost’s Office Relations, is in the process of securing an experienced consultant who can conduct interviews of key stakeholders and other research necessary to guide the Commission. The consultant will engage many of you in conversations over the next several months.
I am grateful to all those who are engaged in the work of the Blue RibbonCommission and also to the University community for supporting our efforts.
Michael E. Engh, S.J.