- Sports: Men's Rowing and Women's Cross Country
- Years Attended: 1977-1981
- 2x member of U.S. Olympic Women’s Rowing Team
- 1980 Congressional Gold Medal recipient
- 1984 Olympic Silver Medalist
- Inducted in 2016
Mitchell, a two-sport standout at Santa Clara, was a two-time member of the U.S. Olympic women's rowing team. She was awarded a Congressional Gold Medal for the boycotted 1980 Olympic Summer games and went on to become the captain of the 1984 Olympic team, helping the Americans claim the silver medal as coxswain. During her junior season at Santa Clara, she was also the coxswain for the U.S. women's team that placed sixth at the 1979 World Championships. Mitchell, a coxswain for the 1979 and '80 Santa Clara men's rowing team, was chair of the Ethics Committee on the board for U.S. Rowing, a manager for the World University Games, area director for Southern California Olympians, and a member of ZLAC Rowing Club.