We recognize that there are many unique challenges during this unprecedented time and we are here to support you.
The information below reflects our most updated services and resources as of 5/28/2020 and is subject to change as the situation evolves. Please visit SCU's COVID-19 website to stay informed and review FAQs.
Current Updates & Resources
*Jump to Employer Connections Resources - Information for employers, including virtual recruitment options, spring timeline, and how to connect with our team.
Connecting With Our Team
Effective March 17, 2020, in accordance with local public health guidelines directing citizens to "shelter in place," until otherwise directed, SCU's Career Center will not be providing operating hours on-campus and will instead provide support to students, employers, and the SCU community through remote and digital resources.
We are here to support you and our work continues throughout the summer - please send any questions to email@example.com and a member of our team will follow up.
Employer & Hiring Updates
We are gathering information from a number of sources to understand hiring trends related to internships and jobs. The following are the top trends and updates:
In the last 30 days, 850 active employers posted jobs for students in Handshake (and 80+ employers sent SCU students messages). Top industries represented in these active postings include Nonprofit, Internet & Software, Healthcare, Sports & Leisure, Human Resources, Education, & Research.
In May, 300+ internships, 100+ part-time, and 1500+ full-time jobs were posted. While a majority of campus recruiting takes place in the fall and winter, new opportunities are still being posted every day.
- 300+ remote job postings are listed in Handshake right now, across a variety of industries.
- Wondering who's hiring right now?
- Handshake is regularly updating this list of 500 companies hiring students on Handhshake right now.
- Check out this resource that shares hiring status updates for thousands of companies. Please note that this information is crowdsourced. It is a great way to get a snapshot to start with, but we encourage you to do some additional research as well.
- Students are encouraged to be flexible and consider industries that are thriving in a COVID-19 economy. Examples of industries projected for growth and hiring include remote collaboration platforms, shipping & delivery, food/grocery, online education and ed-technology, logistics, and government.
Online SCU Career Resources & Tools
A few key resources..
- 5 Career Boosts for the COVID-19 Summer - A quick infographic summary of 5 ways students can boost their careers this summer in the midst of COVID-19.
- Takeaways from the Last Recession - Career Advice to Students Impacted by COVID-19: Check out this quick article written by Melissa Thiriez, Assistat Director for Employer Connections, based on her own experience graduating in 2009 during the Great Recession.
- Recently Asked Questions - Responses to the questions we've heard most through our student survey and appointments with students. This is a live document that will be updated as more questions come in.
- Get Hired Remotely - Handshake's new blog has a variety of insightful articles to help you navigate your remote search.
LinkedIn Live & Webinar Session recordings...
- Internships in a COVID-19 Economy - 4/22 LinkedIn Live, View Recording- Join members of the Career Center team for a discussion about recruiting trends, options, and resources for SCU students.
- Career Strategies for Students & Graduating Broncos - 5/7 LinkedIn Live - View Recording- Learn how students and graduating Broncos can navigate the job market during COVID-19.
- Jobs & Meaningful Work During COVID-19 Webinar -5/19 Webinar, View Recording - Listen to an engaged discussion on a series of timely topics including how students can navigate internships and the job market during COVID-19 and the role of resiliency and purpose as students create their future during uncertain economic times.
- 5 Ideas to Boost Your Career During the COVID-19 Summer - 5/27 LinkedIn Live, View Recording - With COVID-19 disrupting summer job & internship plans, join the Career Center for a session that will provide Broncos with tangible examples and ways to explore, develop your network, build skills and experience, and help you stand out to employers and recruiters.
These tools are available to you anytime and may be particularly helpful in this moment:
- Remote Career Coaching Support - Our team is offering 1:1 appointments (via Zoom) to support students and alumni in their career exploration and job/internship search. Schedule appointments in Handshake. These appointments continue to be available through the summer.
- Handshake - Students and alumni can apply to internships & jobs, connect with the Handshake community, and schedule career coaching appointments
- Career Guides - Recommended next steps connected to wherever you are in the process of your exploration or search
- Job Prep Toolkit - Collection of tactical strategies related to resume, networking & LinkedIn, salaries, job offers, and more
- Big Interview - Video mock interview platform
- Exploration Resources - Want to explore your interests and understand the possibilities? Check out these resources.
Connecting with Employers During COVID-19
As best as is possible, SCU’s Career Center is continuing to facilitate meaningful connections to opportunities for Santa Clara students. We are actively reaching out to SF Bay Area employers to assess hiring needs & plans and to share virtual and remote services.
Virtual Employer Events - Many employers are hosting virtual events to connect with students and share information about their organization and opportunities. View current virtual employer events in Handshake.
Micro-Internships - The SCU Career Center partners with Parker-Dewey, a micro-internship platform for short term, paid, professional assignments similar to those given to new hires or interns. These projects enable students and recent alumni to build and demonstrate skills, explore career paths, and build their networks. To search and apply for upcoming Micro-Internships, please visit here.
Remote Internships -
- Covintern is a crowdsourced list of remote internship opportunities created by a student at Indiana University.
- Remote.co outlines different companies and jobs that are offering remote work. This website also includes a blog that offers tips and advice about working from home.
Has your internship been cancelled? Talentboard is a platform where students who have had an offer rescinded can create a profile to be shared with a community of tech industry recruiters who are still actively hiring
Office Hours with Recruiters - Candor is offering daily office hours with a vareity of recruiters on a range of topics.
Virtual Work Experience - InsideSherpa offers self-paced programs to provide a simulation of the work done at a variety of companies.
Network with Other Interns - intern.club is a place to meet other interns and network. 2 of intern.club's admins are SCU students/alumni!
Review an Open Letter To Graduating Students, written and published on LinkedIn by Career Center Director, Rose Nakamoto, to offer support and guidance to students navigating their way into the world of work during COVID-19.
Employer Connections Resources
Virtual Recruitment Options
While much is evolving at a rapid pace for us all in relation to COVID-19, we are still here to support employers in connecting with SCU students. We encourage employers to consider some of the below options to support their current recruiting needs:
Please post positions in Handshake. We encourage developing a strong job description which includes critical information about your company as well as its vision and mission to assist candidates in understanding how their skills, interests and values will align with your organization.
Leverage targeted messaging in Handshake to reach out to key students about your opportunities. For best practices on how to do this, see Handshake’s Employer Blog.
Consider hosting a virtual chat with students and post it as an “event” in Handshake. We will be continuing to communicate with students on an ongoing basis and will gather any and all virtual employer connection opportunities and market them to the appropriate student audiences. Contact our team for virtual chat tips & suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Timeline for Spring Recruiting
Classes will be in recess beginning March 23rd and online instruction for spring quarter begins on Wednesday, April 8.
We want to be a partner to you while you are navigating this NEW landscape as it relates to your relationship to our students while maintaining a connection and your brand on our campus. With that in mind, our team has put together a brief survey (5 questions) to help us get a sense of what would be most helpful to you in this time.
Connecting With Our Employer Connections Team
Please know that we are here to support employers, and look forward to continuing to work together to connect you with SCU talent. We are in the process of planning our fall recruitment program portfolio, and are exploring virtual options to assist with recruiting if needed. Staff are available remotely to discuss recruiting strategies to support your current and future needs; please email us at email@example.com and a member of our team will follow up as soon as possible.