We recognize that there are many unique challenges during this unprecedented time and we are here to support you.
The information below reflects our most updated services and resources as of 9/25/20 and is subject to change. Please visit the Prepared SCU website to stay informed about the most recent campus updates and messages.
Current Updates & Resources
*Jump to Employer Connections Resources - Information for employers, including virtual recruitment options, spring timeline, and how to connect with our team.
Connecting With Our Team
Though we're not physically on campus until further notice, our team is here to support students, employers, and the SCU community through remote and digital resources.
Please send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team will follow up.
Employer & Hiring Updates
We are gathering information from a number of sources to understand hiring trends related to internships and jobs. The following are the top trends and updates:
In the last 30 days, 1,100+ active employers have posted positions in Handshake (and 95+ employers sent SCU students messages). Top industries represented in these active postings include Nonprofit, Internet & Software, Healthcare, Sports & Leisure, Human Resources, Education, & Research.
Currently 700+ internships, 150+ part-time, and 1,700+ full-time jobs were posted. New opportunities are being posted every day.
- 1,000+ remote job postings are listed in Handshake right now, across a variety of industries.
- Wondering who's hiring right now?
- Handshake is regularly updating this list of 500 companies hiring students on Handhshake right now.
- Check out this resource that shares hiring status updates for thousands of companies. Please note that this information is crowdsourced. It is a great way to get a snapshot to start with, but we encourage you to do some additional research as well.
- Students are encouraged to be flexible and consider industries that are thriving in a COVID-19 economy. Examples of industries projected for growth and hiring include remote collaboration platforms, shipping & delivery, food/grocery, online education and ed-technology, logistics, and government.
Online Career Tools & Resources
- LinkedIn Live - Broncos: Get Ready for Fall Recruiting! Friday, September 25; 10am PDT - View Recording - Learn how to stand out this fall in the current job/internship market and how to use this new landscape to your advantage as you network, explore options and seek internships. Hear from a panel of recruiters from Uber & DocuSign!
- Career Boost - The Career Center is excited to launch a new online career accelerator to help students and new grads to shine in fall recruiting.
- Season 1: Navigating the New Normal of Jobs, Internships, and Fall Recruiting - View short video episodes on relevant career topics. Complete challenges to help you prepare.
- Recently Asked Questions - Responses to the questions we've heard most through our student survey and appointments with students. This is a live document that will be updated as more questions come in.
- Get Hired Remotely - Handshake's new blog has a variety of insightful articles to help you navigate your remote search.
- Remote Career Coaching Support - Our team is offering 1:1 appointments (via Zoom) to support students and alumni in their career exploration and job/internship search. Schedule appointments in Handshake. These appointments continue to be available through the summer.
- Handshake - Students and alumni can apply to internships & jobs, connect with the Handshake community, and schedule career coaching appointments
- Career Guides - Recommended next steps connected to wherever you are in the process of your exploration or search
- Job Prep Toolkit - Collection of tactical strategies related to resume, networking & LinkedIn, salaries, job offers, and more
- Big Interview - Video mock interview platform
- Exploration Resources - Want to explore your interests and understand the possibilities? Check out these resources.
- Takeaways from the Last Recession - Career Advice to Students Impacted by COVID-19: Check out this quick article written by Melissa Thiriez, Assistat Director for Employer Connections, based on her own experience graduating in 2009 during the Great Recession.
Connecting with Employers - SCU Virtual Events
As best as is possible, SCU’s Career Center is continuing to facilitate meaningful connections to opportunities for Santa Clara students. We are actively reaching out to SF Bay Area employers to assess hiring needs & plans and to share virtual and remote services.
- SCU Virtual Career Fairs - The Career Center will be hosting a series of Virtual Career Fairs though Handshake this fall, including the Fall Career Fair BASH on 9/30, the STEM Virtual Fair on 10/14, and the Values Driven Career Expo on 10/27. Here's what you need to know about Handshake's Virtual Fairs.
- Virtual Employer Events - Many employers are hosting virtual events to connect with students and share information about their organization and opportunities. View current virtual employer events in Handshake.
Connecting With Employers - Additional Resources
- Micro-Internships - The SCU Career Center partners with Parker-Dewey, a micro-internship platform for short term, paid, professional assignments similar to those given to new hires or interns. These projects enable students and recent alumni to build and demonstrate skills, explore career paths, and build their networks. To search and apply for upcoming Micro-Internships, please visit here.
- Remote Internships -
- Has your internship been cancelled? Talentboard is a program designed to get you connected with companies & recruiters this summer and in position to be a top candidate this Fall!
- Office Hours with Recruiters - Candor is offering daily office hours with a vareity of recruiters on a range of topics.
- Virtual Work Experience - InsideSherpa offers self-paced programs to provide a simulation of the work done at a variety of companies.
- Network with Other Interns - intern.club is a place to meet other interns and network. 2 of intern.club's admins are SCU students/alumni!
Spring 2020 LinkedIn Live & Webinar Session Recordings
- Internships in a COVID-19 Economy - 4/22 LinkedIn Live, View Recording- Join members of the Career Center team for a discussion about recruiting trends, options, and resources for SCU students.
- Career Strategies for Students & Graduating Broncos - 5/7 LinkedIn Live - View Recording- Learn how students and graduating Broncos can navigate the job market during COVID-19.
- Jobs & Meaningful Work During COVID-19 Webinar -5/19 Webinar, View Recording - Listen to an engaged discussion on a series of timely topics including how students can navigate internships and the job market during COVID-19 and the role of resiliency and purpose as students create their future during uncertain economic times.
- 5 Ideas to Boost Your Career During the COVID-19 Summer - 5/27 LinkedIn Live, View Recording - With COVID-19 disrupting summer job & internship plans, join the Career Center for a session that will provide Broncos with tangible examples and ways to explore, develop your network, build skills and experience, and help you stand out to employers and recruiters.
Employer Connections Resources
Virtual Recruitment Options
While much is evolving at a rapid pace for us all in relation to COVID-19, we are still here to support employers in connecting with SCU students. We encourage employers to consider some of the below options to support their current recruiting needs:
Please post positions in Handshake. We encourage developing a strong job description which includes critical information about your company as well as its vision and mission to assist candidates in understanding how their skills, interests and values will align with your organization.
Leverage targeted messaging in Handshake to reach out to key students about your opportunities. For best practices on how to do this, see Handshake’s Employer Blog.
Timeline for Fall Recruiting
Online instruction for fall quarter begins on Monday, September 21st.
Connecting With Our Employer Connections Team
Please know that we are here to support employers, and look forward to continuing to work together to connect you with SCU talent. We are in the process of planning our fall recruitment program portfolio, and are exploring virtual options to assist with recruiting if needed. Staff are available remotely to discuss recruiting strategies to support your current and future needs; please email us at email@example.com and a member of our team will follow up as soon as possible.