Ph.D. Chemistry, Northwestern University
B.A. Chemistry, New College of Florida
Biochemistry, Nanomaterials, Bioinorganic chemistry
Brief Research Description
Investigations of the environmental and human health implications of Nanomaterials. Specifically, use biochemical and proteomic approaches to understand the interactions of nanoparticles with biomolecules.
- Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award $65,000, 2018-2023.
- National Institutes of Health AREA grant $374,000, 2016-2019.
- University of California Center for the Environmental Implications of Nanotechnology, SEED grant sub-award from the National Science Foundation, 2014-2015
- Research Corp for Science Advancement Cottrell College Science Award, 2011-2013.
- Advanced Biosciences Initiative, W. F. Keck Foundation, 2011-2013
- Biochemistry I (Chem 141) Syllabus (PDF)
- Biochemistry II (Chem 142)
- Bioinorganic Chemistry (Chem 101)
- General Chemistry Lecture and Lab (Chem 11)
- Nameth, C.; Wheeler, K.E. Identifying the underlying assumptions of an interdisciplinary collaboration on curriculum development Interdisciplinary Journal of Partnership Studies, 2018, 5(2), Article 2.
- Findlay, M.* ; Freitas, D.N.*; Mobed-Miremadi, M.; Wheeler, K.E. Machine learning provides predictive analysis into silver nanoparticle protein corona formation from physicochemical properties. Environmental Science: Nano, 2018,
- Amaris, Z.N.*; Freitas, D.N.*; Mac, K.*; Gerner, K.T.*; Nameth, C.; Wheeler, K.E. Nanoparticle synthesis, characterization, and ecotoxicity: a research-based set of laboratory experiments for a general chemistry course. Journal of Chemical Education 2017. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jchemed.7b00369
- Freitas, D.N.*, Martinolich, A.J.*,Amaris, Z.N.*, Wheeler.K.E. "Beyond the passive interactions at the Nano-Bio interface: Evidence of Cu metalloprotein driven oxidative dissolution of silver nanoparticles" Journal of Nanobiotechnology, 2016, 14:7. DOI: 10.1186/s12951-016-0160-6.
- Eigenheer, R., Castellanos, E.R.*, Nakamoto, M.Y.*, Gerner, K.T.*, Lampe, A.M.* Wheeler, K.E. Silver .Nanoparticle Protein Corona Composition Compared Across Engineered Particle Properties and Environmentally Relevant Reaction Conditions. Environmental Science: Nano, 2014, 1(3), 238-247
Featured on the back, front cover and highlighted as a "HOT article" by the journal.
- Doku, R.T.; Park, G.*; Wheeler, K.E.; Splan, K.E. Spectroscopic Characterization of Copper(I) Binding to Apo- and Metal-reconstituted Zinc Finger Peptides. Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry, 2013, 1-10.DOI: 10.1007/s00775-013-1012-6
- Martinolich, A.J.;* Park, G.;* Nakamoto, M.Y.;* Gate, R.E.;* Wheeler, K.E. Differential impact of silver nanoparticles and their dissolution ions on metalloprotein function. Environmental Science and Technology, 2012, 46 (11), 6355–6362.