The Santa Clara Johnson Scholars Program is offered to students whose qualities, experiences, and perspectives have prepared them to excel as leaders. Finalists will be selected on the basis of academic achievements in addition to their potential to contribute to the intellectual and civic life of SCU and the world at large.
Candidates are selected from the undergraduate, first-year student admission application pools. No separate scholarship application is required. Admission applications must be submitted through the online Common Application process.
*Upon completion of required financial aid forms (FAFSA and the CSS PROFILE) students may be eligible for additional costs of attendance, such as standard room and board fees as well as book and other customary expenses
**All international applicants are required to complete a Financial Resources Statement proving the student or their family are able to cover the total cost of the first year attendance before their application will be considered for admission.
Semi-finalist candidates will be notified in mid-February, and asked to submit supplemental material by early March. After supplemental materials are reviewed, finalists will be identified. Finalists will be invited to a Scholarship Weekend in early April. Travel and lodging expenses for the Scholarship Weekend will be paid by the University for the finalists. The weekend includes attending classes, touring the campus, meeting with faculty mentors, dining with members of the Johnson Scholars community, selection activities, and additional events. A program for parents, who may attend at their own expense, will intersect and complement the student program.
From among the finalists, up to 5 Johnson Scholars for the academic year will be selected and notified in the weeks following Scholarship Weekend.
The following characteristics are typical of Santa Clara University's Johnson Scholars:
- Evidence of leadership and a spirit of tenacity
- Demonstrated record of high academic performance
- An unweighted cumulative GPA of 3.8 or higher
- A minimum ACT composite score of 30 or SAT combined score of 1,400 in the math and critical reading sections
- Record of service throughout the high school career
Johnson Scholars Selection Process
- Mid February Semi-finalists notified
- Mid March Finalists notified
- April 2nd - 3rd, 2019 Finalists attend Scholarship Weekend and Selection Activities
Johnson Scholars Awards
- Mid April Johnson Scholars selected and notified (Tentative - subject to change)
- May 1 Deadline for accepting SCU admittance and Johnson Scholars award
Santa Clara Undergraduate Admission Application Process
Early Decision I
Early Decision II
- December Last month to take standardized tests for Early Decision II applicants
- January 7 Postmark deadline for Early Decision II application
- January 15 Deadline to submit the CSS Financial Aid/PROFILE for non-merit-based SCU institutional aid consideration.
- February 1 Deadline to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Mid-February Early Decision II applicants notified of admission decision
- Mid-February Admitted Early Decision II students notified of financial aid package
- March 1 Postmark deadline for enrollment deposit
- March 2 Cal Grant GPA Verification Form (CA residents only)