Alert icon Test Optional Policy SCU has adopted a two-year “test optional” policy for first-year and transfer students seeking enrollment beginning in the Winter 2021 and Fall 2021 terms. More information here.
The Santa Clara Johnson Scholars Program is offered to students whose qualities, experiences, and perspectives have prepared them to excel as leaders. Finalists will be selected on the basis of academic achievements in addition to their potential to contribute to the intellectual and civic life of SCU and the world at large.
Candidates are selected from the undergraduate, first-year student admission application pools. No separate scholarship application is required. Admission applications must be submitted through the online Common Application process.
*Upon completion of required financial aid forms (FAFSA and the CSS PROFILE) students may be eligible for additional costs of attendance, such as standard room and board fees as well as book and other customary expenses
**All international applicants are required to complete a Financial Resources Statement proving the student or their family are able to cover the total cost of the first year attendance before their application will be considered for admission.
JSP Selection Process
Semi-finalist candidates will be notified early March and asked to submit supplemental material by mid March. After supplemental materials are reviewed, finalists will be identified. Finalists will be invited to a virtual Selection Day in early April.
From among the finalists, 5 Johnson Scholars will be selected and notified in the weeks following the Selection Day.
The following characteristics are typical of Santa Clara University's Johnson Scholars:
- Evidence of leadership and a spirit of tenacity
- Demonstrated record of high academic performance
- An unweighted cumulative GPA of 3.8 or higher
- A minimum ACT composite score of 30 or SAT combined score of 1,400 in the math and critical reading sections (please see Test Optional Policy above)
- Record of service throughout the high school career
Johnson Scholars Selection Process
- Early March Semi-finalists notified and invited to submit next steps
- Mid March Finalists notified
- Early April Finalists attend Virtual Selection Activities
Johnson Scholars Awards
- Mid April Johnson Scholars selected and notified
- May 1 Deadline for accepting SCU admittance and Johnson Scholars award
Santa Clara Undergraduate Admission Application Process
Early Decision I
Early Decision II
- December Last month to take standardized tests for Early Decision II applicants who wish to submit scores for consideration
- January 7 Postmark deadline for Early Decision II application
- January 15 Deadline to submit the CSS Financial Aid/PROFILE for non-merit-based SCU institutional aid consideration.
- February 1 Deadline to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Mid-February Early Decision II applicants notified of admission decision
- Mid-February Admitted Early Decision II students notified of financial aid package
- March 1 Deadline for enrollment deposit
- March 2 Cal Grant GPA Verification Form (CA residents only)