Level I: Selection of first-year students
Honors is a selective program that admits a small group of students each year from across the University, approximately 5% of the incoming class.
Upon admission to Santa Clara University, students will be invited to apply to the University Honors Program through their Admissions Portal and via email invitation.
The UHP application consists of a short essay, and is a heavily weighted aspect of your application. In addition, your academic profile in your application for admission will be reviewed, which includes your transcript(s) and test scores if you opted to have these considered.
Although there is no minimum academic requirement to apply to the Honors program, our students typically have unweighted GPAs above 3.9, have pursued a rigorous course curriculum in high school, and are engaged in a range of activities beyond their academic interests. The Honors Program application is test-optional, as is Santa Clara University as a whole. We are seeking a diverse class that brings a variety of life experiences and perspectives to our community.
Current SCU Students:
Level II: Admission of current Santa Clara University students
Enrolled students not already in the UHP may apply for Level II in the spring of their first year at Santa Clara. Normally, the minimum grade point for admission is 3.75 in courses taken at Santa Clara. Although preference for admission at level II is given to rising sophomores, on occasion rising juniors may be accepted, space permitting.
Application procedure for Level II:
- Submit a completed application.
- Please request two letters of recommendation from faculty who have taught you at SCU. At least one must be from a CTW or C&I instructor or a faculty member who has familiarity with your writing capabilities. Letters should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications are due by 11:59pm Monday, April 24, 2023. Accepted students will be notified by end of spring term. Waitlisted students remain on waitlist until fall term begins.
Transfer: Admission of students who transfer to Santa Clara University
Transfer students should contact the Honors Program upon admission to SCU and will be considered for admission on a case by case basis.
Recommendations for Level II letter of recommendations:
- Consistency, quality, and depth of contribution in the classroom
- Quality of writing
- Collaborative spirit with class engagement
- Overall assessment of suitability for the honors program