Zoom sessions can be initiated from within Camino.
This will automatically invite any user enrolled in your Camino class to attend the video conference, and you can choose to automatically record the session for students to view afterwards. This is recommended for recording class sessions or large group discussions.
For more information on private 1-on-1 or office hours zoom sessions, please check out the Recommended Zoom Meeting Settings.
Add the Zoom Pro tab to your Camino Course
|1. Click on Settings on your course navigation bar for the course to which you want to add the link
2. Click on Navigation
3. Click and hold on Zoom Pro and drag it to the top.
4. Don’t forget to click Save at the bottom of the screen.
5. Once the Zoom link has been added to your course navigation bar, click on it to start the setup process.
6. If this is your first time using the Zoom Pro tab feature, you may need to authorize the link between Zoom & Camino (Canvas)
Now you are ready to schedule a new meeting.
Checkout the options below for recommended meeting settings.
Recommended Recurring Meeting Settings
|We recommend using the Zoom Pro tab within your Camino course site to schedule recurring class meetings. This is the easiest way to share Zoom meeting information with your students, and to share class recordings with your students automatically.|
Topic section is prefilled with course full name.
We recommend you add the following information if you combine mutilple sections into the same Camino course, but still want to keep the meetings separate per section.
Description field is optional and students do not see this section. Feel free to skip this section.
Input your first day of class. The time field defaults to 15minute increment, but you can change it by clicking on the field and type in the desired start time in the HH:MM format. Make sure to double check AM/PM.
Zoom will let you start the meeting even if it's not during the scheduled time.
The duration field defaults to 15minute increment. We recommended setting the time to the closest 30minute.
Zoom will not cut you off if you run past the meeting during time.
You should not have to change the default Pacific Time (US & Canada) time zone unless you (the meeting scheduler) are currently in a different time zone.
Check the Recurring checkbox to see the recurring options.
The most common setting is to set Recurrence to Weekly, Repeat every 1 week.
Check all the days you are meeting every week (we will cover how to remove holidays in the later section.)
We recommend to include the final exam week in your meeting schedule. You can delete it later if you don't need it.
Registration is designed for events that invites both internal and external attendees. Typical classes do not need this option.
We strongly recommend you set security parameters to prevent possible Zoombombing.
Passcode can be customized with upto 10 letters, numbers, and special characters.
Waiting Room is a great option for 1:1 meetings or office hours. However we do not recommend turning on this option for recurring meetings.
Require authentication to join - Zoom users with SCU email is recommended if you would liked to track meeting attendance. If you are expecting a guest from outside of SCU community to join your class, you can change the settings to allow any Zoom user.
This dictates if you want the camera to show when you and the participants first log in to the meeting. You and the participants can always turn camera off at anytime.
We recommend selecting Both Telephone & Computer audio so that if a student encounter audio issues with their computer, they can always choose to call in with their cell phone to participate in the meeting.
Meeting options can be vary depending on how you want to run your meeting. Below is the explaination of each option for turning on or off.
We always recommend recording your session to the cloud. Zoom will keep your video recording on Zoom recording server for 30 days. We automatically make a copy of the recorded video to the Panopto video server, where it will remain avaiable indefinitely.
By using the Zoom Pro feature, the copied video is posted to the Class Recordings folder in Camino automatically for you.
Start or Delete a Meeting
Start a Meeting
Once your meeting is scheduled, you will need to start the meeting when it is time to begin.
- Click on the Zoom link on your course navigation bar
- View the upcoming meeting
- Click Start to launch the meeting
This will launch your Zoom session.
Delete a Meeting
- Click the Delete button next to the meeting to be deleted
- Click OK in the pop-up dialog to confirm that the meeting is to be deleted.
Students will be notified when you delete a Zoom session. (Note: Only the meeting creator can delete a meeting that has been created using the Zoom for Canvas tool.)
Zoom Meeting Tips from Amy Eriksson (Communications Dept)
- The chat window is really useful but kind of hidden — I usually ask students questions out loud to engage them but give them the option to answer in writing in the chat box if they didn’t want to unmute themselves and talk.
- I suggest telling students ahead of time that their camera and audio may be on because it can be very awkward if students don’t realize everyone can see and hear them. Or I recommend selecting the option to mute participants upon entry when creating the meeting, then tell them they can choose to unmute themselves.
- Meetings will only show up for students in the Camino course in which you created the meeting, but will show up for you in all your courses, which can be confusing. The way to get around this if you want multiple classes to attend the same zoom session is to copy url and send the link to class in a Camino announcement.
- Don’t schedule private one-on-one zoom meetings through Camino—everyone in course can see them and log in. Use the Zoom feature from the main SCU login page instead. There’s also a way to link with Google Calendar and send invites with Zoom link embedded (very useful for private conferences with individual students)
- Screen sharing is really useful for using slides, but makes it hard on the instructor's part to see students and chat window. I think you can rearrange the windows to make it easier but it takes some trial and error.
Troubleshoot: Can't see the Zoom integration on Camino
If you click on the Zoom Pro navigation link and can’t see the Zoom integration on Camino, you will need to clear the cache and cookies on your browser.
To fix this on Chrome, go to Site Settings > Cookies and site data > ensure block 3rd party cookies is NOT enabled:
From there, go back to your Camino page and click on the Zoom integration. Here is a guide for Google Chrome and a guide for Firefox. We do not recommend Safari, Edge, or Internet Explorer for using Camino.
If that does not work, you may want to try a different browser (Chrome or Firefox preferred) or use the Zoom log in on the MySCU Portal.
For more information or assistance, please contact Camino Support (firstname.lastname@example.org or 408-551-3572).