Academic attire is now available for purchase online through July 1, 2020. The Class of 2020 will be sent the link to the store portal via email from the Commencement Office. The package includes the cap, gown, hood & tassle. Other items are offered as optional add-ons. We will offer the attire again before the rescheduled in-person commencement when it is required to be worn.
Place the hood, velvet side up, over the head draping over the back outside of the gown. The V-shape end sits at front of the neck and the longer U-shape drapes over the back. Starting just below the shoulders, turn out the inner lining to reveal the school colors.
What does the hood mean?
- The level of degree received: the bachelor's hood is 3 feet long, the master's degree is 3.5 feet long, the doctor's degree is 4 feet long with wide panels on either side.
- The college or university granting the degree: Santa Clara University hoods are cardinal over white.
- The area of study: dark blue for philosophy (Ph.D), light blue for education and counseling, white for arts and humanities, golden yellow for sciences, orange for engineering, purple for law, drab (brown) for business, scarlet for theology.
University honor cords will be provided separately for undergraduate students who have achieved a cumulative grade point average of 3.500 or higher as of Winter Quarter 2020. Honor cords are draped over the neck across the shoulders. The cord should fall evenly on both sides on the outside front of the gown. Latin honors will be noted in the commencement program, which will be provided for the in-person ceremony.
- Cum Laude: 3.500 - 3.699 GPA
- Magna Cum Laude: 3.700 - 3.899 GPA
- Summa Cum Laude: 3.900 - 4.000 GPA