Skip to main content
Santa Clara University

Follow us on Social Media

Student Advisory

SCU Study Abroad is not partnered with and therefore does not endorse the listed organizations and institutions. They are provided as an informational resource and individuals must evaluate organizations and institutions for any usefulness or purpose.

U.S. Fulbright Student Program

The U.S. Fulbright Student Program offers fully-funded awards that allow U.S. citizens who are recent graduates or graduate students to go abroad for study, research, or teaching. There are opportunities in over 140 countries. During their grants, Fulbrighters will meet, work, live with and learn from the people of the host country, sharing daily experiences. The program facilitates cultural exchange through direct interaction on an individual basis in the classroom, field, home, and in routine tasks, allowing the grantee to gain an appreciation of others’ viewpoints and beliefs, the way they do things, and the way they think.

International Fellowships

SCU Study Abroad highly encourages students to reach out to the SCU Office of Student Fellowships to explore the plethora of opportunities available to students. Some of the more prestigious International Fellowships are as follows:

International-Related Graduate Study Programs

Returned study abroad or away students are often interested in pursuing graduate work in international education or comparative international education.

Jesuit Volunteer Corps and Peace Corps

Restoration projects, literacy campaigns, farming, and teaching are just a few examples of the many volunteer programs abroad. Some programs charge a fee and provide services such as insurance coverage, meals, and even housing. Some provide free room and board in exchange for work. Volunteer work opportunities range from a few weeks to two or three years. If you’re interested in development work, want to meet other foreigners and host nationals, and don’t mind rudimentary living conditions, consider volunteering with the Jesuit Volunteer Corps or Peace Corps. Jesuit Volunteer Corps or Peace Corps can be a great opportunity to engage in a volunteer experience. 

Teaching English Abroad

There are many opportunities to teach English abroad through established programs. Most programs prefer a commitment of one academic year, though some offer summer or semester possibilities. In general, a bachelor’s degree is required, although in most cases you do not need to be an English major. Organizations are more interested in your ability to speak native and fluent English. Volunteer and paid teaching opportunities can be found throughout the world.

Work Abroad In Abroad

If you are interested in short-term work abroad (less than one year; typically, 4–12 months) usually involves working in an unskilled job, where you can earn enough to cover your food, lodging, and daily living expenses. These types of jobs may not pay enough to cover air transportation, but it may help provide some extra money for travel after you leave your job. 

If you are interested in long-term career opportunities, SCU Study Abroad encourages students to speak with the Career Center about career opportunities.