Santa Clara University Welcomes Early Members of the Class of 2028
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Dec. 19, 2023 – Santa Clara University sent out admission decisions to a record 10,841 early applicants this fall, an increase of over 3.5 percent from last year.
Students representing nearly 3,000 high schools across the globe applied early for admission to Santa Clara and received their notifications through an online portal on December 15. Fifty-two percent of early applicants were admitted.
Students who apply by November 1 have historically been the most committed to attending Santa Clara and are eager to secure their spot in the incoming class. This increase in early admission applicants suggests that Santa Clara's rigorous academics, small classes, Jesuit mission and values, and Silicon Valley connections continue to be highly valued and sought after. Students admitted through Early Action have until May 1 to accept Santa Clara’s admission offer, while students admitted through Early Decision I must confirm their enrollment by January 7.
An Exceptional Pool of Students
Notable characteristics of this year’s early admitted students include:
- They report an average unweighted GPA of 3.85
- 55% of students are from outside California
- More than 500 students are the first in their families to attend college
- Almost 8% of students are living outside the U.S.
- 40% speak a language other than English at home
- Over 450 students attend Jesuit high schools
- 168 listed a Community-Based Organization (CBO) that was most helpful in their college search
- Ten are a part of SCU’s inaugural Posse LA Scholars
“Santa Clara University’s mission and opportunities continue to attract high-achieving applicants," said Santa Clara Dean of Admission Becky Konowicz. “Our applicants showcase competence and a profound commitment to conscientiousness and compassion. They are drawn to SCU's Jesuit values, the university's innovative programs, and its location in the heart of Silicon Valley.”
The Santa Clara University community looks forward to welcoming and congratulating newly admitted students with upcoming events and engagements.
Students can still apply until January 7 through either the Early Decision II or Regular Decision admission tracks. This is the fourth year Santa Clara will offer Early Decision II, an additional binding admission plan for students—either new applicants or those deferred in the Early Action round—who know SCU is their No. 1 choice. For transfer students, a rolling admission deadline is April 15, and those applying from a community college will have their application fee waived.
The Class of 2028 will be arriving at an exciting time on the Mission campus:
- SCU placed 60th among nearly 400 national-level universities in U.S. News & World Report’s 2023-24 “Best Colleges” edition and No. 13 nationally for Best Undergraduate Teaching.
- For the third year in a row, SCU was a recipient of INSIGHT Into Diversity Magazine’s Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award, which recognizes universities that demonstrably champion the creation of diverse and inclusive environments on campus.
- SCU holds national rankings in notable publication lists including No. 49 on TIME and Statista’s “Best Colleges for Future Leaders,” No. 75 in The Wall Street Journal’s “2024 Best Colleges in the U.S.” list, and and No. 12 in Forbes’ “Top 25 Colleges with Highest Earning Graduates.”
About Santa Clara University
Santa Clara University, a comprehensive Jesuit, Catholic university located 40 miles south of San Francisco in California’s Silicon Valley, offers its more than 9,000 students rigorous undergraduate curricula in arts and sciences, business, theology, and engineering, plus master’s and law degrees and engineering doctoral degrees. Distinguished nationally by one of the highest graduation rates among all U.S. master’s universities, California’s oldest operating higher-education institution demonstrates faith-inspired values of ethics and social justice.
Lisa Robinson | SCU Media Communications | firstname.lastname@example.org | 408-551-3601