Completion of our Language Placement Process does NOT satisfy the Core Language Requirement! The process is intended to identify the appropriate language course for you to take based on your skill level.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR LANGUAGE PLACEMENT PROCESS
1. Carefully read the following:
- A placement recommendation is a prerequisite for ALL SCU language courses. All students must complete the language placement process PRIOR TO REGISTERING for their first language course at SCU. Once you have taken a language course here, that course will serve as your prerequisite for further courses in that language. If you switch to a new language, you will need to complete the placement process again for that language.
- To begin and complete the placement process, you must use your SCU email address. If you are new to SCU and don’t have your address, please click here for information on how to activate your account.
- It can take up to 14 days after completing the placement process to receive your language placement recommendation. To ensure you will have your placement recommendation in time to register for classes, you should complete the placement process at least 2 weeks prior to your registration
- Our language placement tools are adaptive. The time it will take to complete depends on your experience with language learning and the specific language you wish to study. It can take as little as a few minutes or it can take up to about 45 minutes, plus the time required to read and carefully follow instructions you are given.
2. Click here to begin the Language Placement Survey
The Placement Test Survey is an entirely online assessment that you can complete anywhere you have a smart device and an internet connection.
If you have questions that are not addressed in these instructions, please visit our Language Placement Process FAQs.