Sanfilippo Professor, Biology Department and Public Health Program
B.S. in Biology, Roanoke College
Ph.D in Molecular Biology, University of Virginia
Postdoctoral research - Laboratory of Dr. Lucy Shapiro, Developmental Biology, Stanford University
My current research is focused on genomic analysis of the acquisition, regulation, and evolution of antibiotic resistance in commensal and pathogenic E. coli, a common gut bacterium in humans. Antibiotic resistance is a growing public health problem, and understanding how potential pathogens acquire resistance is of biological, epidemiological, and medical significance. During the 2014-15 academic year I will be on sabbatical leave working in the laboratory of Dr. Lee Riley, Division of Infectious Diseases, UC Berkeley School of Public Health.
Current Research at SCU
My current research is focused on genomic analysis of the acquisition, regulation, and evolution of antibiotic resistance in commensal and pathogenic E. coli, a common gut bacterium in humans. Antibiotic resistance is a growing public health problem, and understanding how potential pathogens acquire resistance is of biological, epidemiological, and medical significance.
2018-2021 Principle Investigator, National Institutes of Health grant R15AI130816-01A1: Exploring genomic diversity in commensal Escherichia coli.” (Dr. David Hess is co-PI on this grant.)
Recent Courses Taught at SCU
- BIOL 1C Systems
- BIOL 113 Microbiology (with lab) (Fall 2018, 2019)
- PHSC 1 Introduction to Public Health (Spring 2019)
- BIOL/PHSC 189 Topics - Infectious Diseases and Public Health (Fall 2019)
indicates SCU student, technician, or post-doc
- C. Stephens, T. Arismendi, M. Wright, A. Hartman, A. Gonzalez, M. Gill, M. Pandori, D. Hess (2020). F plasmids are the major carriers of antibiotic resistance genes in human-associated commensal E. coli. mSphere 5(4): e00709-20.
- C. Stephens, M. Wright, A. Hartman, A. Gonzales, G. Sensabaugh, P. Robinson, D. Hess (2020). Complete genome sequences of diverse uropathogenic Staphylococcus saprophyticus isolates from a college health center. Microbiology Resource Announcements 9(35): e00722-20.
- Kikuchi N, May M, Zweber M, Madamba J, Stephens C, Kim U, Mobed-Miremadi M. (2020). Sustainable, Alginate-Based Sensor for Detection of Escherichia coli in Human Breast Milk. Sensors 20(4):1145.
- C. Stephens, S. Adams-Sapper, M. Sekhon, J. Johnson, L. Riley (2017). Genomic analysis of factors associated with low prevalence of antibiotic resistance in extraintestinal pathogenic Escherichia coli ST95 strains. mSphere 2(2): e00390-16.
- C. Stephens, J. Skerker, M. Sekhon, A. Arkin, L. Riley (2015). Complete genome sequences of four Escherichia coli ST95 isolates from bloodstream infections. Genome Announcements 3: e01241-15.
- C. Stephens, P. Cho, V. de Araujo, I. Gomes, S. de Azevedo Sias, C. Cardoso, L. Riley, F. Aguiar-Alves (2015). Draft sequence of a community-associated methicillin-resistant PVL+ Staphylococcus aureus ST30 isolate from a pediatric lung infection in Brazil. Genome Announcements 3(4). pii: e00907-15 (open access)
- M. Garrett, J. Parker, and C. Stephens (2014). Draft genome sequences of antibiotic-resistant commensal Escherichia coli. Genome Announcements 2(6): 1-2. (open access)
- K. Ash, T. Brown, T. Watford, L. Scott, C. Stephens, and B. Ely (2014). A comparison of the Caulobacter NA1000 and K31 genomes reveals extensive genome rearrangements and differences in metabolic potential. Open Biology 4: 140128. (open access)
- A. Sheikh*, D. Caswell*, C. Dick*, S. Gang*, J. Jarrell*, A. Kohli*, A. Lieu*, J. Lumpe*, M. Garrett*, J. Parker* and C. Stephens (2013). Regulation of D-galacturonate metabolism in Caulobacter crescentus by HumR, a LacI-family transcriptional repressor. Advances in Bioscience and Biotechnology, 4(10B): 63-74. (open access)
- C. Stephens, B. Christen, K. Watanabe*, T. Fuchs, and U. Jenal. (2008) Regulation of D-xylose metabolism in Caulobacter crescentus by a LacI-type repressor. Journal of Bacteriology 189: 8828-8834.
- C. Stephens, B. Christen, T. Fuchs, V. Sundaram*, K. Watanabe*, and U. Jenal. (2007) Genetic analysis of a novel pathway for D-xylose metabolism in Caulobacter crescentus. Journal of Bacteriology 89:2181-2185.
- A. Hottes, M. Meewan, D. Yang*, N. Arana*, P. Romero, H. McAdams, C. Stephens (2003). Transcriptional profiling of Caulobacter crescentus during growth on complex and minimal media. Journal of Bacteriology 186: 1448-1461.
- L. West*, D. Yang*, and C. Stephens (2002). Use of the Caulobacter crescentus genome sequence to develop a method for systematic genetic mapping. Journal of Bacteriology 184: 2155-2166.