Vanessa Errisuriz is a health equity researcher committed to addressing the disproportionate burden of obesity and obesity-related chronic illness among youth and adults from minority and underserved populations. She received her PhD in Health Behavior and Health Education from The University of Texas at Austin. Dr. Errisuriz’s research uses a socioecological-based approach with a health equity lens to identify social determinants of obesity and obesogenic behaviors and develop interventions to foster health behavior change at multiple levels (e.g., individual, family, community). She has extensive experience collaborating with diverse community stakeholders to develop effective and sustainable interventions and is committed to enhancing adoption, integration, and sustainability of evidence-based interventions in real-world settings. Before joining the Public Health faculty at Santa Clara University, she was a Research Associate with the Latino Research Institute at the University of Texas at Austin.
PHSC 100 Introduction to Epidemiology
- Errisuriz, V. L., Parra-Medina, D., Liang, Y., Howard, J. T., Li, S., Sosa, E., ... & Yin, Z. (2023). ¡ Miranos! An 8-Month Comprehensive Preschool Obesity Prevention Program in Low-Income Latino Children: Effects on Children’s Gross Motor Development. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 20(21), 6974.
- Magaña, S., Errisuriz, V. L., Yu, A. P. L., Heydaria, N., Zeng, W., Mirza, M., ... & Suarez-Balcazar, Y. (2023). Associations between parenting strategies and BMI percentile among Latino children and youth with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Frontiers in Pediatrics, 11.
- Yin, Z., Liang, Y., Howard, J., Errisuriz, V., Estrada, V., Martinez, C., . . . Parra-Medina, D. (2023). ¡Míranos! a Comprehensive Preschool Obesity Prevention Program in Low-Income Latino Children: One-year Results of a Clustered Randomized Controlled Trial. Public Health Nutrition, 26(2) 476-487.
- Errisuriz, V.L., Villatoro, A.P., & McDaniel, M.D. (2022). Contextualizing the Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the Educational Experiences and Outcomes of Latinx College Students in Texas. Journal of Latinos and Education, 1-16.
- Errisuriz, V.L., Dooley, E.E., Burford, K.G., Johnson, A.M., Jowers, E.M., & Bartholomew, J.B. (2021). Implementation quality impacts fourth grade students’ participation in physically active academic lessons. Prevention Science, 1-10.
- Yin, Z., Errisuriz, V.L., Evans, M., Inupakutika, D., Kaghyan, S., Li, S., ... & Parra-Medina, D. (2020). A Digital Health Intervention for Weight Management for Latino Families Living in Rural Communities: Perspectives and Lessons Learned During Development. JMIR Formative Research, 4(8), e20679.
- Errisuriz, V.L., Delfausse, L., Villatoro, A.P., McDaniel, M.D., Esparza, L., & Parra-Medina, D. (2019). Depression and Physical Activity Affect Diet Quality of Foreign-born Latina Women Living on the US-Mexico Border. Nutrients, 11(6), 1254. PMID: 31159475
- Errisuriz, V.L., Golaszewski, N.M., Born, K., & Bartholomew, J.B. (2018). Systematic review of physical education-based physical activity interventions among elementary school children. The journal of primary prevention, 39(3), 303-327. PMID: 29705883
- Bartholomew, J.B., Errisuriz, V.L., & Jowers, E.M. (2019). Physical Activity in Children and Adolescents. In M.H. Anshel (Ed.). APA handbook of sport and exercise psychology Vol. 2. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Errisuriz, V.L., Pasch, K.E., & Perry, C.L. (2016). Perceived stress and dietary choices: The moderating role of stress management. Eating behaviors, 22, 211-216. PMID: 27310611