St. Clare Room: Event Use Policy
The St. Clare Room in the University Library is designated as a quiet study space for Santa Clara University students. It is also used for the Santa Clara University Board of Trustees and Board of Regents meetings which happen several times a year.
The St. Clare Room may be reserved by SCU faculty and staff for other occasional special events (such as lectures and panels) which meet all of the following guidelines:
- The organizers of the event are directly affiliated with Santa Clara University and the event is sponsored by a campus department or office.
- The event includes academically-oriented activities that further the mission of Santa Clara University.
- The event is free and open to the University community and the general public.
- The event does not occur during a period of peak study by students. The blackout periods include the week of midterms, the week of finals, and days on which the library is closed.
- The total time necessary for the event, including set-up and cleanup times, occurs entirely during the Library’s open hours. See Library Hours for operating hours and holiday closure information.
- The total time necessary for the event should not exceed four hours.
- The event’s expected attendance does not exceed the capacity limit of 100 people.
- The Library’s food & drink policy applies to inside the St. Clare Room. Catering may only be set up in the pre-function space outside the room. Only food & drink that meets the Library’s food policy may be consumed in the room.
- The room is only available for one event per day.
- The Library reserves the right to refuse a reservation if the intended use would create inappropriate noise and/or activity on the 3rd floor.
The room has projection & recording capabilities, 54 hard-back chairs, 18 tables, and 10-15 lounge seats around the edges of the room. Facilities may be able to provide additional chairs, not to exceed more than the room’s total occupancy of 100.
Responsibilities of the Event Organizer
The event organizer is responsible for the following:
- The event organizer coordinates all room set up before and room restoration after the event.
- The event organizer may employ their own staff or may make arrangements in advance from Facilities for assistance with rearranging furniture.
- If extra chairs are required, the event organizer may request them from Facilities. The library cannot provide additional chairs.
- Tables and chairs may not be removed from the room.
- Tables may not be pushed up against the walls.
- The event organizer may make arrangements in advance with Academic Technology for presentation, media equipment, sound equipment, or recording services.
- The event organizer must arrange with Bon Appetit or Adobe for any catering needs.
- The event organizer ensures that catering is set up in the pre-function area in front of the St. Clare Room and not in the room.
- The event organizer monitors capacity limits.
Requesting a Reservation
All requests, even those that meet the guidelines, must be approved. Room availability does not mean room approval. All reservation requests are responded to within 2 business days of the request. Approved requests are sent a confirmation email after the room has been reserved.