The Augustin Cardinal Bea, SJ University Professor
ScB Psychology 1982, Brown University
MA Clinical Psychology 1983, University of Kansas
PhD Clinical Psychology, 1987, University of Kansas
Postdoctoral Fellowship and Clinical Internship, 1986-88, Yale University
PSYC 2: General Psychology II (DOC)
PSYC 114: Ethics in Psychology (PDF)
PSYC 115: Abnormal Psychology (DOC)
PSYC 116: Advanced Topics in Abnormal Psychology (DOC)
PSYC 117: Health Psychology (PDF)
PSYC 118: Advanced Topics in Health Psychology (DOC)
PSYC 193: Psychology of Religion and Spirituality (DOC)
- Psychology, religion, and health outcomes
- Sex offending clergy
- Psychological screening of Catholic and Episcopal clergy applicants
- Professional and personal ethics
- Psychological benefits of physical exercise
Recent Journal Articles
For more complete list see my Tom Plante CV
Plante, T. G., & McCreadie, A. The Santa Clara Ethics Questionnaire. Pastoral Psychology, in press.
Plante, T. G. (2018). Spiritual formation and soul care on a college campus: The example of the Ignatian Center at Santa Clara University. Journal of Spiritual Formation and Soul Care, 11, 241-252.
Plante, T. G., Oppezzo, M., Tran, B., & Diaz, L. A. (2018). Perceived fitness and exercise intensity can predict exercise enjoyment. Journal of Contemporary Athletics, 12(1), 61-67.
Plante, T. G. (2017). Making APA civil again: The efforts and outcomes of the civility working group. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 48(6) 401-404.
Plante, T. G. (2017). The 4 Ds: Using Ignatian spirituality in secular psychotherapy and beyond. Spirituality in Clinical Practice, 4(1), 74-79.
Plante, T. G., & Pistoresi, S. (2017). A survey of ethics training in undergraduate psychology programs at Jesuit universities, Pastoral Psychology, 66(1), 1-6.
Callister, E. S., & Plante, T. G. (2017). Compassion development in undergraduates: A Catholic college example. Pastoral Psychology, 66 (1), 1-6.
Plante, T. G. (2016). Principles of incorporating spirituality into professional clinical practice. Practice Innovations, 1 (4) 276-281.
Plante, T. G., & Halman, K. E. (2016). Nurturing compassion development among college students: A longitudinal study. Journal of College and Character, 17(3), 164-173.
Plante, T. G., & Mejia, J. (2016). Psychometric properties of the Santa Clara Brief Compassion Scale. Pastoral Psychology, 65(4) 509-515.
Plante, T. G. (2016). Beyond mindfulness: Expanding integration of spirituality and religion into psychotherapy. Open Theology, 2, 135-144.
Plante, T. G. (2018). Are children safe from sexual abuse in Catholic church? San Jose Mercury News. September 20, 2018.
- Plante, T. G. (2017). Wildfire horrors, mass shootings stress us out — but here’s a great remedy. San Jose Mercury News. October 17, 2017.
- Plante, T. G. (2016). Commentary: Much to do in preventing sexual abuse of children, Philadelphia Inquirer, June 11, 2016.
- Plante, T. G. (2015). 6 reasons why giving is good for the soul. San Francisco Chronicle, December 22, 2015.
- Plante, T. G. (2015). “Spotlight” revisits a painful time in the Catholic Church. San Jose Mercury News, November 17, 2015
- Plante, T. G. (2015). We’re shocked by every nice guy caught with child porn. But we shouldn’t be. Our image of pedophiles is completely wrong. The Washington Post, July 8, 2015.
- After Words: Savoring the rewards of patience, contemplation, and TLZ, Santa Clara Magazine, August 2009.
- Time Magazine, Oct. 17, 2005 issue.
- Church Official Convicted in Clergy Abuse Scandal, PBS News Hour, June, 2012
- A Perspective on Clergy Sexual Abuse
- Some Facts To Remember In Clergy Sexual Abuse Discussions - Catholic San Francisco, April 23, 2010
- Can psychology help a church in crisis? Monitor on Psychology, June 2002.
- What Might Spirituality and Religion Offer the Contemporary Practicing Psychologist
- Students have the power to give their elders a gift that is both priceless and free USA Today – College, December 11, 2012