The Augustin Cardinal Bea, S.J. University Professor
Professor of Psychology and by courtesy, Religious Studies as well as Adjunct Clinical Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, and Editor, Spirituality in Clinical Practice
ScB Psychology 1982, Brown University
MA Clinical Psychology 1983, University of Kansas
PhD Clinical Psychology, 1987, University of Kansas
Postdoctoral Fellowship and Clinical Internship, 1986-88, Yale University
PSYC 2: General Psychology II (DOC)
PSYC 114: Ethics in Psychology (PDF)
PSYC 115: Abnormal Psychology (DOC)
PSYC 116: Advanced Topics in Abnormal Psychology (DOC)
PSYC 117: Health Psychology (DOC)
PSYC 118: Advanced Topics in Health Psychology (DOC)
PSYC 193: Psychology of Religion and Spirituality (DOC)
- Psychology, religion, and health outcomes
- Sex offending clergy
- Psychological screening of Catholic and Episcopal clergy applicants
- Professional and personal ethics
- Psychological benefits of physical exercise
Plante, T. G. (2021). Contemporary Clinical Psychology, Fourth Edition. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN: 978-0-470-58739-3..
Recent Journal Articles
For more complete list see my Thomas Plante CV
Plante, T. G. (2020). Clergy sexual abuse in the Roman Catholic Church: Dispelling eleven myths and separating facts from fiction. Spirituality in Clinical Practice, in press.
Plante, T. G. (2020). A review of spiritual development and transformation among college students from Jesuit higher education. Religions, 11(7), 333.
Plante, T. G. (2020). Clericalism contributes to religious, spiritual, and behavioral struggles among Catholic priests, Religions, 11(5), 217.
Plante, T. G. (2020). St. Ignatius as psychotherapist? How Jesuit spirituality and wisdom can enhance psychotherapy. Spirituality in Clinical Practice, 7(1) 65-71.
Plante, T. G. (2019). Spirituality in Clinical Practice: Gratitude, Introductions, and future directions. Spirituality in Clinical Practice, 6 (1-4).
Plante, T. G., & McCreadie, A. (2019). The Santa Clara Ethics Questionnaire. Pastoral Psychology, 68, 1-9.
Plante, T. G. (2018). Spiritual formation and soul care on a college campus: The example of the Ignatian Center at Santa Clara University. Journal of Spiritual Formation and Soul Care, 11, 241-252.
Plante, T. G., Oppezzo, M., Tran, B., & Diaz, L. A. (2018). Perceived fitness and exercise intensity can predict exercise enjoyment. Journal of Contemporary Athletics, 12(1), 61-67.
Plante, T. G. (2017). Making APA civil again: The efforts and outcomes of the civility working group. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 48(6) 401-404.
Plante, T. G. (2017). The 4 Ds: Using Ignatian spirituality in secular psychotherapy and beyond. Spirituality in Clinical Practice, 4(1), 74-79.
Plante, T. G., & Pistoresi, S. (2017). A survey of ethics training in undergraduate psychology programs at Jesuit universities, Pastoral Psychology, 66(1), 1-6.
Callister, E. S., & Plante, T. G. (2017). Compassion development in undergraduates: A Catholic college example. Pastoral Psychology, 66 (1), 1-6.
Recent Op-Ed Articles
- Plante, T. G. (2020). Mental health challenges in ministry: A call for better collaboration. Berkley Center for Religion, Peace and World Affairs, Georgetown University, May 22, 2020.
- Plante, T.G. & Schwartz, G.E. (2020). A “wakeup” virus for the modern age. Arizona Daily Star, March 17, 2020.
- Plante, T. G. (2019). Effort to break sacred seal of confession misguided. San Jose Mercury News, July 12, 2019.
- Plante, T. G. (2019). Catholic bishops should have experts at conference to address global clerical sexual abuse. San Francisco Chronicle, February 6, 2019.
Plante, T. G. (2018). No, homosexuality is not a risk factor for the sexual abuse of children. America: The Jesuit Review, October 22, 2018.
Plante, T. G. (2018). Are children safe from sexual abuse in Catholic church? San Jose Mercury News. September 20, 2018.
- Plante, T. G. (2017). Wildfire horrors, mass shootings stress us out — but here’s a great remedy. San Jose Mercury News. October 17, 2017.
- Plante, T. G. (2016). Commentary: Much to do in preventing sexual abuse of children, Philadelphia Inquirer, June 11, 2016.