Skip to main content


Educational Tax Credit

The IRS form 1098-T is filed by Santa Clara University for each student who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and has qualified tuition and related expenses billed (charged) during the calendar year (January 1 through December 31). 1098-T forms are available online by the end of January, following the reporting year. 

Your personal financial records serve as official supporting documentation for your federal income tax return. 

Use the IRS Interactive Tax Assistant tool on to see if you can claim the credit. 

There is no IRS requirement that you must claim the education credit. Claiming education tax benefits is a voluntary decision for those who qualify.

Santa Clara University staff does not provide tax advice to individuals.

The deadline for remitting required documentation to obtain the 2016 1098-T form is March 25, 2017.