WE RECOMMEND THESE FIRST STEPS
- Claim your Handshake account (if you have not already), update your Handshake profile and career interests.
- Update your resume incorporating new experiences, projects, activities, and achievements using our Job Prep Toolkit. If you need assistance come meet with a Graduate Student Career Coach for a 20 minute appointment and have any quick questions answered. Schedule in Handshake.
- Create or develop your LinkedIn profile using the resources in our Job Prep Toolkit.
- Bookmark the Career Center Events page and like us on Facebook to stay up to date on upcoming professional and personal development labs, fairs, networking events, industry treks and employer info sessions.
- Speak with a Peer Career Advisor to learn about Career Center services and to consider ways you can engage throughout your sophomore year.
Download our printable Sophomore Guide PDF and start building your plan!
NEXT, SELECT A FEW OF THE FOLLOWING BASED ON YOUR OWN JOURNEY AND INTERESTS...
What makes you unique? Explore your interests, strengths, and values
- Gain clarity about your personality, career interests, and strengths by taking an assessment and exploring your results.
- Register for the Career Center Vocation Retreat to reflect on where you have been, who you are, and where you are going within a supportive community of fellow SCU students, staff, faculty, and alumni.
- Research potential majors and occupations via What Can I Do With This Major? and Occupational Outlook Handbook.
Discover the possibilities
- Get involved in student organizations on campus and engage in your community through leadership or volunteering.
- Connect with people and SCU alumni doing work that interests you and conduct informational interviews. The Networking and LinkedIn section of our Job Prep Toolkit can help!
- Attend networking or industry events to make connections in the areas that interest you.
- Meet with a Career Development Specialist for a 30 minute appointment to further develop your search strategy. Schedule in Handshake.
Prepare for your search and gain experience
- Explore on-campus fellowships, leadership, internship and jobs and opportunities that provide great ways to build experience related to your academic and career interests.
- Participate in a micro-internship and build skills and experience through paid short-term projects with companies locally and nationally. To search and apply, click here.
- Attend the First-Year & Sophomore Job & Internship Fair and any of our other annual career fairs to explore opportunities at companies that recruit at SCU.
- Launch your job or internship search in Handshake. Use filters like “Job Function” and “Industry” to narrow down your search.
- Looking for an opportunity outside of the Bay Area? Request Reciprocity on our website.