Programs for Students
SCU undergraduate and graduate students work in the Center's many program areas.
Whether you're considering the fairness of capital punishment or your roommate's right to hang a poster you disagree with, as a student at Santa Clara University, you're going to be thinking about ethics.
Every undergraduate takes at least one course in ethics. At the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics, we also offer a rich program of events on ethics in almost any field you can think of, and we engage students in peer-led dialogue about ethics in everyday life.
Center fellowships and internships allow students to pursue interests in almost any area of ethics, including business, the environment, engineering, and health care.
- Hackworth Fellowships: Students create programs for their peers on ethical issues.
- Environmental Ethics Fellowships: Fellows explore the ethics of sustainability on campus.
- Honzel Fellowship in Health Care Ethics: The fellow serves as a peer mentor to students in the Health Care Ethics Internship and develops an ethics project with particular relevance to students and alumni.
- Health Care Ethics Internships: Interns shadow doctors, nurses and other health care professionals in hospitals and hospices.
- Business Ethics Internships: Interns are placed in ethics and compliance divisions of Silicon Valley companies.
A debate group on ethical issues, the Ethics Bowl team competes regionally and nationally.
Hackworth grants are available to students doing research on ethics and may include money for travel, supplies, and fees.
The Big Q
SCU students engage their classmates in a dialogue about ethical issues in the everyday lives of college students, both online and on-campus.
SCU's ethics requirement includes classes in all schools and disciplines.
Students may follow a four-course sequence of classes to deepen their knowledge of ethics, especially in their chosen field.
The Center offers a rich menu of talks, workshops, and presentations.
Graduating seniors are honored for excellence in ethics research or practice.
Student Government Ethics
Developed by a member of SCU's student government, these resources include case studies and sample codes of ethics.
The Big Q Blog
Podcast explores the law and ethics regarding alcohol consumption and consent.
Myths and facts
Fellows' video explores the legal and ethical meaning of free speech.
Resources for college women pursuing a business career
Research suggests 10 steps for taking control of your career.