Networking can be really simple.
LinkedIn can help you get started.
Networking & LinkedIn
Be curious, reach out to alumni doing work that interests you, and ask them questions about their experience. Informational interviews can be a great way to get your foot in the door!
First Things First. Create a Strong LinkedIn Profile.
Who Should I Contact and How do I Find Them?
What Should I Say When I Contact Them And What do I Ask When we Talk?
About The Individual And His/Her Job
- Please describe your career path into your current role?
- Why did you choose this career? This position?
- What does a typical day look like?
- What do you like most/least about your job?
- What type of advancement opportunities exist in your field?
- How did you prepare for entry into this field?
About The Organization
- What are the characteristics of successful people in your organization?
- How are goals set and measured?
- What changes do you see occurring in the industry in the next couple of years?
- What other areas of the organization might I look into?
About Your Marketability
- What might I do to better position myself for opportunities within your organization?
- Would you mind reviewing my resume and offering any advice?
- Can you suggest the names of two or three other people I might contact for more information?