Dear SCU Biology Major,
If you meet the eligibility criteria below, please consider applying to TriBeta, SCU's Biological Honor Society:
- Declare Biology as your Major.
- Completion of the Introductory Biology Series: (Bio 21, 22, 23, 24 & 25), or equivalent.
- Completion of (or concurrent enrollment in) at least one Upper Division Biology course.
- Attainment of a 3.25 grade point average in Biology and a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
To apply, complete the TriBeta application and email it directly to Dr. Whittall or deliver a hardcopy to the Biology Dept. office (Tracy Robinette will put them in my mailbox). The deadline for applications has been extended until Friday, September 22, 2017.
What is it?
Beta Beta Beta (Tri-Beta) is an honor society designed for students, especially undergraduates, who are dedicated to improving the understanding and appreciation of the study of biology and broadening the boundaries of human knowledge through scientific research. Today, more than 175,000 people have been accepted as lifetime members, and more than 430 chapters have been established throughout the United States and Puerto Rico.
- To promote scholarship in the biological sciences
- To promote the dissemination of biological knowledge
- To encourage research
In 1922, a man by the name of Frank G. Brooks and a group of his students founded Tri-Beta at Oklahoma City University (the Alpha Chapter). By 1925, after the idea of an honor and professional society for biology students spread, the society became a national organization. As the society grew, it became divided into regional and district groups, each of which holds an annual convention. Student research papers are presented at every district and national meeting, and awards are given for outstanding individual and chapter accomplishment.
- Declare Biology as your major
- Completion of the introductory Biology series
- Completion of (or concurrent enrollment in) at least one upper division Biology course with a lab
- Attainment of a 3.25 GPA in the biological sciences and a 3.00 cumulative GPA
- Majority approval by the active members of the Epsilon Kappa Chapter present at the meeting (1/2 + 1 members must be in attendance)
- Must pay Tri-Beta national membership fee: $50 (one-time fee)
- Must pay Tri-Beta chapter dues: $20 (one-time fee)
- Must attend all regularly scheduled chapter meetings
- Must be an active member of a Tri-Beta Committee
- Must participate in at least one Tri-Beta activity per quarter