Teaching is a huge fun part of my life and career. I'm very dedicated to helping my students achieve their learning goals. Meeting new students every year and sharing aspects of the Arabic culture and language with them are things that I cherish very much. If you are reading this and you are an SCU current or perspective student, I invite you to take my Arabic language and culture courses. My classes offer great opportunities to learn about the Arabic culture in a fun, uncomplicated way. Email me and I will send you all that you need to know about the Arabic program.
Research Interests: Prison Literature, Translation, War Literature, Trauma Studies, Refugees, Arabic Literature, The Arab Spring, Arabic Culture.
- ARAB 1, 2, 3: Elementary Arabic Language I, II, III
- ARAB 21, 22, 23: Intermediate Arabic Language I, II, III
- ARAB 11A/12A: The Arab-speaking World: Media, Culture, and Politics (C&I 1 & 2)
- ARAB 137: Arabic Culture and Identity
- Kadalah, Mohammed. “The Syrian Uprising: The Battle between the Regime and Activists over Making Online Narratives.” International Journal of Media Culture and Literature 7.2 (2021): 99–117. Web. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/pub/ijmcl/issue/69276/884150
- Kadalah, Mohammed. Rev. of Poems of A Palestinian Boyhood, World Literature Today, 2020. https://www.worldliteraturetoday.org/2020/winter/poems-palestinian-boyhood-reja-e-busailah
- Kadalah, Mohammed. Rev. of Concerto Al-Quds by Adonis. World Literature Today, 2017. https://www.worldliteraturetoday.org/2018/january/concerto-al-quds-adonis
- Kadalah, Mohammed. “The Representation of the Syrian Revolution in Literature” Warscapes Online Magazine, 2016. http://www.warscapes.com/literature/representation-syrian-revolution-literature
- Kadalah, Mohammed. 'A Story From Homs'. Voices Of The Arab Spring. Assad Al-Saleh. 1st ed. New York: Columbia University Press, 2015. 217-22.
- Kadalah, Mohammed. “The Impact of Arabic Literature on the Pre-Arab Spring Time Period” International Journal of Arts and Sciences 7: 5. 439–448. 2014.
- Excerpts from “Seven Days,” a poem by Nouri al-Jarrah, New Poetry in Translation, 2018 (from the Arabic) http://www.newpoetryintranslation.com/al-jarrah.html
- “Long Are the Shadows,” and “Shoe of Blood.” Poems by Najib George Awad, World Literature Today, 2016. (from the Arabic). http://www.worldliteraturetoday.org/blog/poetry/two-poems-syria-najib-george-awad
- "Still Life,” a poem by Jazra Khaleed, co-translated with Peter Constantine, Lyrikline, 2015 (from the Greek). http://www.lyrikline.org/index.php/de/gedichte/nekrh-fysh-7706/#.ViObFrxiM6h
- “Refrain,” a poem by Jazra, Khaleed, co-translated with Peter Constantine Lyrikline, 2015 (from the Greek). http://www.lyrikline.org/de/gedichte/refrain-6669?showmodal=ar#.ViOan7xiM6h
- "Words,” a poem by Jazra Khaleed, co-translated with Peter Constantine, Lyrikline, 2015 (from the Greek). http://www.lyrikline.org/en/poems/woerter-7703#
- “Napalm Napalm”, “Beards” and “Thunder” short stories from Thunder by Zakaria Tamer, Long River Review, 2014 (From the Arabic).