Many events planned by student organizations serve food from as simple as refreshments to as extravagant as a full-service dinner. Food service in all buildings and at all outdoor areas is exclusively granted to Bon Appetit, which is the official dining services provider for Santa Clara.
Below is a list of food service policies and catering resources by Bon Appetit:
- University Dining Services Policies
- Exceptions to using Bon Appetit (see section titled "Contractor Exclusivity Exception Detail")
- Bon Appetit Catering
There are a few exceptions (see section titled "Contractor Exclusivity Exception Detail") that exist where a student organization may not be required to use Bon Appetit for food service. If your event meets one of the exceptions, then complete any required forms in order to qualify for that exception.
Note: Keep in mind that by submitting any required forms you are not automatically approved to use other catering until Bon Appetit approves your request. However, if you are approved to use external catering, then you must remit 7.5% of the total catering costs back to Bon Appetit.
Food Cooked by Student Organizations
Student organizations can cook their own food only for private potluck events/meetings, bake sales, and approved events (see previous section on exceptions to using Bon Appetit).
For approved events, student organizations may be required to attend a food safety meeting by Bon Appetit and may be required to cook in the Bon Appetit kitchen while supervised.
Donation of Raw Food Items & Ingredients
Dining Services policy allows only the donation of raw food items and ingredients to be prepared or cooked by their staff. Donated food items that are already cooked are not permissible.
Donation of Meal Points
Dining Services policy also allows for students to donate their unused meal points to pay for catering. It is important to note that ASG does not reimburse students who are donating their meal points to pay for their student organization's catering needs.
Bake Sales & Food Tabling Sales
Student organizations may host bake sales or food tabling sales at Benson Memorial Center as long as the following guidelines are followed:
- Baked goods (i.e. cookies, cakes, brownies, dessert bars, etc) must be made by the organization members, not purchased at a bakery, grocery store, restaurant, catering company, etc. to be resold.
- If homemade goods are not being sold, any food sold at Benson tabling must be by Bon Appetit.
- Food that has a required holding temperature to stay hot or to stay cold may not be sold.
- Beverages may not be sold.
- All of the above also applies if food is being served for free.
- Tabling requests must be through the Center for Student Involvement and confirmed by Benson Memorial Center.
Bon Appetit also offers a "Bake Sale Package" which is an assortment of cookies, brownies, and dessert bars that student organizations may purchase for resale at Benson Memorial Center. If your organization is interested in this package, contact Bon Appetit at 408-551-1792 at least 7 days in advance of your bake sale.
Student organizations may request for food trucks to sell food during events.
- Bon Appetit requires the Food Truck External Catering Form to be completed and approved before any food trucks are invited; submit completed forms to your Center for Student Involvement (CSI) advisor first for initial approval before it goes to Auxiliary Services for final approval.
- Once approved, each food truck needs to sign the Food Truck Agreement.
- The fee per truck is $250.
- Also, just like external catering, 7.5% of the total sales by each truck must be remitted back to Bon Appetit.
- Food truck parking is not allowed at the following locations:
- The end of Santa Clara Street, nearest to Benson Memorial Center. This is a fire lane. Parking is allowed on the northside of Santa Clara Street facing the observatory across from McLaughlin-Walsh Residence Hall.
- Market Street in front of Swig Residence Hall or Benson Memorial Center.
- The Alameda in front of the Bronco Statue, Graham Residence Hall, or Finn Residence Hall.
- Please contact Leah Nakasaki-Peterson at firstname.lastname@example.org in Parking & Transportation Services to confirm the parking location for your food truck.