Skip to main content

CSO & RSO Event Planning

This webpage is updated frequently so please refresh your web browser each time you visit to make sure you are getting the most up-to-date information.

Last updated on October 6, 2022, 12:00pm PDT.

Reserve a Room, Space, or Table

The Event Planning Request Form (see web links below) is the online form you use to submit a reservation request for a room, space, or table for events, meetings, and tabling on campus.

Important reminders:

  • Submitting the online form to request a reservation does not mean the request is approved so please await a formal confirmation that the reservation is in fact approved.
  • A room reservation request is due at least 5 business days prior to a meeting or tabling date and at least 15 business days prior to an event date.
  • All relevant and required contracts must be fully reviewed and signed by all parties at least 15 business days prior to an event or meeting date.
  • Students are not permitted to sign any contracts. If you signed a contract, contact Tedd Vanadilok at immediately to learn how to remedy the situation.
  • Click here for a list of religious holidays to keep in mind when planning events and meetings during the academic year.
  • An event, meeting, or tabling is not approved until:
    • The room or space is confirmed as reserved.
    • Relevant and required contracts are signed by SCU.
    • Service requests for Facilities and/or Media Services are confirmed.
    • Any areas of risk or concern are properly addressed by Tedd Vanadilok ( or his designee.

Click on the Event Planning Request Form that best fits your student organization:

Note: If you need a reservation for a class assignment or project, please work with your faculty and/or faculty's department to make this reservation on your behalf. The Center for Student Involvement manages reservations for CSOs and RSOs only.

COVID Health & Safety Regulations

COVID health and safety regulations for the 2022-23 academic year are below. SCU will continue to actively monitor the status of COVID as well as other health and safety risks then make any necessary updates to health and safety regulations as necessary.

Event Matrix

Respect for Others

  • As we continue down the path back to normalcy, please keep in mind that some people may choose to continue wearing masks indoors and outdoors and some individuals may choose to social distance as an extra precaution.
  • Individuals may choose to engage in these extra precautions as they care for or interact with vulnerable and high-risk populations or individuals that are unable to be vaccinated.
  • It is important to respect these personal decisions and to demonstrate sensitivity.
  • All community members are expected to contribute to and maintain an inclusive and welcoming environment for all, regardless of vaccination status or personal health precautions.

Payments & Reimbursements

For chartered student organizations (CSOs):

  • Submit an invoice or purchase order for the expense as well as a Payment Request Form directly to Arcelia Rodriguez ( at the Locatelli Student Activity Center.

For registered student organizations (RSOs):

  • All payment and reimbursement requests must be physically turned in with a completed Expense Request Form, receipts, and other related documents to the RSO Form Bin at the front desk of the Locatelli Student Activity Center, 2nd Floor.
  • Any payments and reimbursements less than or equal to $200 will be paid out in cash.
  • Any payments and reimbursements more than $200 will be paid out via a university check or direct deposit.
  • Any and all payment and reimbursement requests are first reviewed by the ASG Financial Vice President at (Jocelyn Hsiung) before being processed by Arcelia Rodriguez (
  • Download: Expense Request Form (PDF)

Payment Options

Consult with Arcelia Rodriguez at or your advisor to review payment options.

  • Requests for payments and reimbursements must be made no later than 30 business days after the event or purchase.
  • Except for extenuating circumstances, any purchase requests made less than 5 business days prior to when the purchase is needed will not be processed so please plan ahead.
  • Use of the SCU credit card is not always the first or only option.
  • Other options may include a check payment, direct deposit, or purchase order.
  • Petty cash and cash advances are additional options (see more below).
  • Amazon orders and orders for office supplies are required to go through the university's ordering system, not through personal accounts; Arcelia Rodriguez ( will place these orders for you.

Petty Cash & Cash Advances

Click here for an online form to request petty cash or cash advance to help pay for in-store purchases.

What's the difference between petty cash and a cash advance? In general, petty cash is for purchases of an estimated amount where as a cash advance is for an exact amount.

Commonly Used Forms

Click here for a list of forms commonly used by student organizations.

After Reservation is Confirmed

For most events, CSOs and RSOs are empowered to plan and manage their own events. However, your advisor through the Center for Student Involvement is ready to assist you wherever needed to plan and manage your event, especially around areas of risk and/or if contracts are required.

Click here to view the list of advisors.

Arcelia Rodriguez ( assists all CSOs and RSOs with financial transactions such as reimbursements, payments, deposits, transfers, and donations. She also assists CSOs and RSOs with managing their fund accounts and balances.

Click here to learn more about funding and finances for CSOs and RSOs.

SCU Dining Services by Bon Appetit will be the primary food service and catering option for events unless one of several possible exceptions are met.

Click here to learn more about food service and catering options for CSOs and RSOs.

Student organizations may request for food trucks to sell food during events.

  • Bon Appetit requires the Food Truck External Catering Form to be completed and approved before any food trucks are invited; submit completed forms to your Center for Student Involvement (CSI) advisor first for initial approval before it goes to Auxiliary Services for final approval.
  • Once approved, each food truck needs to sign the Food Truck Agreement.
  • The fee per truck is $250.
  • Also, just like external catering, 7.5% of the total sales by each truck must be remitted back to Bon Appetit.
  • Food truck parking is not allowed at the following locations:
    • The end of Santa Clara Street, nearest to Benson Memorial Center. This is a fire lane. Parking is allowed on the northside of Santa Clara Street facing the observatory across from McLaughlin-Walsh Residence Hall.
    • Market Street in front of Swig Residence Hall or Benson Memorial Center.
    • The Alameda in front of the Bronco Statue, Graham Residence Hall, or Finn Residence Hall.
  • Please contact Leah Nakasaki-Peterson at in Parking & Transportation Services to confirm the parking location for your food truck.

Facilities can provide the following:

  • Tables and chairs that are not already provided in your confirmed room or space for your event.
  • Electrical support if your event's electricity needs exceed what the room or space can typically handle, especially if your event is outdoors.
  • Trash, recycling, and compost bins for your event if substantial waste will be generated.
  • Temporary shut off of irrigation systems (water sprinklers) for outdoor events on lawns.
  • Custodial services to clean event spaces (if requested or as needed).

Facilities service requests for any of the above services must be submitted at least 7 days in advance of your event date. Your advisor can assist you with your order.

Note #1: View the resource PDF below for full details about what Facilities offers and what the protocol is to request services for your event. This PDF also outlines all possible fees and fines so your student organization is aware in advance.

Note #2: Facilities no longer works on weekends free of charge. Any requests for weekend events will be charged to the CSO or RSO at $72 per hour per Facilities staff member (minimum of 2 staff), who each have to work a minimum of 4 hours. Work hours for weekdays are 6:00am-2:30pm.

Resource: Event Services Policy by Facilities (PDF)

Click here to learn more about the services that Facilities offers.

Media Services can provide any needed audio/video equipment such as laptops, projectors, screens, sound systems, microphones, webcams, etc. that are not already provided in your confirmed room or space for your event.

Also, Media Services is able to assist with planning virtual events using Zoom to accommodate large audiences, multiple speakers, and breakout rooms.

Use the following online form if you need to order equipment through Media Services:

Media Services Equipment Order Form (online form)

Crowd (audience) safety and security should always be of upmost importance. If crowd safety and security are a concern for your event, please contact Tedd Vanadilok at to learn about options.

Your advisor may also request that your event have measures in place to ensure everyone is safe and the event venue is secure.

Click here to learn more about crowd safety and security at events.

Tabling at Benson

If your CSO or RSO is tabling inside or outside the Benson Memorial Center, then the Event Planning Request Form is required to request a table.

Note: A reservation is not confirmed until the Event Planning Request Form is approved (i.e. table is confirmed). See "Reserve a Room, Space, or Table" section at the top to find the list of Event Planning Request Forms.

Tabling in front of or at any other parts of other campus buildings is strongly discouraged unless you asked for and received permission to do so by the building manager. Any unauthorized tabling may lead to your student organization temporarily losing reservation privileges for all rooms and spaces.

If you need a tabling reservation for a class assignment or project, please work with your faculty and/or faculty's department to make this reservation on your behalf. The Center for Student Involvement manages reservations for CSOs and RSOs only.

Student organizations may host bake sales or food tabling sales at Benson Memorial Center as long as the following guidelines are followed:

  • Baked goods (i.e. cookies, cakes, brownies, dessert bars, etc) must be made by the organization members, not purchased at a bakery, grocery store, restaurant, catering company, etc. to be resold.
  • If homemade goods are not being sold, any food sold at Benson tabling must be by Bon Appetit.
  • Food that has a required holding temperature to stay hot or to stay cold may not be sold.
  • Beverages may not be sold.
  • All of the above also applies if food is being served for free.
  • Tabling requests must be through the Center for Student Involvement and confirmed by Benson Memorial Center.

Residence Life Spaces

Submit a reservation request:

  • Use the appropriate Event Planning Request Form at the top of this webpage to submit a reservation request.
  • See notes below first before you submit a reservation request so you are aware of what spaces are available to student organizations.


  • Casa Italiana (da Vinci RLC) 3, 7, and 8
  • Graham (Alpha RLC) 163 and 164
  • Sobrato (Loyola RLC) 18 and 19

Reservation priority:

  • Priority for these spaces is given to academic courses scheduled through the Registrar.
  • The Registrar blocks these spaces from 8:00am until 6:00pm as classroom reservations are being finalized.
  • Blocks on these spaces will be removed by the third week of each term.
  • During the weekends evenings and weekends, reservations for the classrooms are limited to RLC and Office of Residence Life events.
  • Reservations will not be allowed after 10:00pm.

Access to buildings:

  • All faculty, staff, and students have access to the front doors of Casa Italiana, Graham, and Sobrato Halls, Monday through Friday between 7:00am and 8:00pm using their ACCESS Card.
  • Sobrato front doors are unlocked between 7:45am and 6:00pm.

Submit a reservation request:

  • Use the appropriate Event Planning Request Form at the top of this webpage to submit a reservation request.
  • See notes below first before you submit a reservation request so you are aware of what spaces are available to student organizations.

Commons and multipurpose rooms:

  • Casa Italiana (da Vinci RLC)
  • Graham (Alpha RLC)
  • Sobrato (Loyola RLC)

Reservation priority:

  • These spaces are designated as community spaces for the residents and priority is given to RLC events
  • Depending on campus need, these spaces are at times used as classroom space.
  • Student organizations must submit reservation requests through the Center for Student Involvement.
  • All requests must be made 7 days in advance of the event or meeting.

Submit a reservation request:

  • Use the appropriate Event Planning Request Form at the top of this webpage to submit a reservation request.
  • See notes below first before you submit a reservation request so you are aware of what spaces are available to student organizations.

Courtyards and outdoor spaces:

  • Dunne Volleyball Court
  • Sobrato Mall (lawn in front of Sobrato Hall)
  • Kennedy Lawn (lawn between Swig and McLaughlin-Walsh Halls)

Not available for community use:

  • University Villas barbeque area is for resident events only.

The spaces listed below are for RLC use only and are not available to be reserved by student organizations:

  • Casa Italiana Courtyard
  • Casa Italiana Den (Casa 4)
  • Casa Italiana Tech Room (Casa 1)
  • Finn Commons and Multipurpose Room
  • Graham Study Rooms (Graham 256, 257)
  • Graham Theater (Graham 258)
  • McLaughlin-Walsh Commons
  • Sobrato Courtyard
  • Sobrato Den (SOB 31)
  • Sobrato Tech Room (SOB 18)
  • University Villas Commons and Multipurpose Room

Residence hall staff are not responsible for setting or resetting the space. If a specific set up is needed, your student organization is responsible for working directly with Facilities or doing the setup and reset yourself. Event setups should be requested through Facilities at least 10 days in advance and can occur Monday-Friday until 2:30pm.

If additional media equipment is needed beyond what is provided in the space, your student organization is responsible for reserving equipment through Academic Technology (Media Services). The commons and classrooms are equipped with a projector, screen, and speakers.

Student organizations may lose the right to reserve or use a Residence Life space for reasons including, but not limited to:

  • Failure to return the space to designated layout (floor plan will be located in each room)
  • The space is left dirty
  • There is damage to equipment and/or furniture
  • Doors are left propped open or space is left unsupervised (security risk)

Campus Recreation Facilities & Fitness Classes

Campus recreation facilities include the Malley Center, Sullivan Aquatic Center (Pool), and Bellomy Field. Reservation parameters are as follow:

  • CSOs and RSOs can request practice space starting Week 2 of the quarter for when practices are to be held. Practices may start as soon as that week, but not during Week 1.
  • However, if CSOs and RSOs that want to host events at campus recreation facilities, then they may submit reservation requests at any time.
  • Keep the following reservation limits in mind (limits are per week per student organization):
    • Multipurpose room in Malley Center (6 hour limit)
    • Basketball courts in Malley Center (6 hour limit)
    • Pool (8 hour limit)
    • Bellomy Field (no limit but entire field is closed during Club Sports home games)
  • All pool reservations that might take the pool over capacity (50 people) for the regular scheduled staff will require the scheduling of extra lifeguards before the reservation is confirmed; one lifeguard is needed for every 25 individuals at the event regardless of whether they are in the pool or on deck.

Note #1: CSOs and RSOs are not permitted to have minors (anybody younger than 18 years old who is not a Santa Clara student) participate in their practices or attend their events using campus recreation facilities. All non-students that are over 18 years of age must be sponsored by a current student and pay the guest fee to use the Malley Center or Pool. Non-students are not permitted to use Bellomy Field.

Note #2: At this time there are NO non-students and non-SCU personnel (faculty and staff) allowed in Malley Center, on Bellomy Field, or at the pool. As of October 3, 2022, spouses of students, faculty, and staff will be permitted. Then as of October 17, 2022, alumni members will be permitted. All users of these facilities must be vaccinated and boosted.

Note #3: The Event Planning Request Form is still required to reserve campus recreation facilities even though facilities are managed by Campus Recreation. See "Reserve a Room, Space, or Table" section at the top to find the list of Event Planning Request Forms.

CSOs and RSOs may host fitness classes only if the instructor is nationally certified (verification is required) AND if the class being offered fits these specific parameters:

  • The location you are having the class is adequate for that type of class and size of the class.
  • For example, yoga should not be done on a concrete patio and kickboxing requires space for the participants to kick their legs and move around.

Note: At this time fitness classes through Campus Recreation continue to be supported by donations and there is no impact on the budget for the program by CSOs and RSOs having classes. This is subject to change if Campus Recreation has to charge students for class passes. Click here to see what fitness classes Campus Recreation is offering.

The Degheri Tennis Courts are reserved through Chris Mendoza at with the Athletics Department.

Off-Campus Trips & Activities

Domestic and international travel are permitted as long as all country, state, county, local authority, and host site regulations are complied with. It is your student organization's responsibility to learn, understand, and comply with these regulations.

If your CSO or RSO is planning an off-campus trip or activity, then you need to follow the protocol for trips instead of the event planning process described above which is primarily for on-campus events.

Click here to learn more about planning off-campus trips and activities.

Click here for an online form to inform us of your off-campus trips and activities so we can be aware of your whereabouts.

Click here for a list of preferred bus companies if you need buses.

Student organizations that are planning trips to other countries must have their travel reviewed and approved at least 8 weeks prior to departure. Review and approval is by the SCU Travel Policy Advisory Committee (TPAC).

Santa Clara does not support University-sponsored travel to countries with certain travel restrictions placed upon them by the U.S. Department of State or other entities due to significant issues of safety, health, and/or legal risk due to factors such as natural disasters, political strife, and organized crime.

Contact Tedd Vanadilok at to start the review process.

Click here to learn the full process to get international travel reviewed and approved.

The Center for Student Involvement manages a fleet of 6 vans that student organizations may use for off-campus trip and activities. Each van is a Toyota Sienna and seats 8 people including the driver.

SCCAP and Into the Wild have first priority so it is important to note that reservation requests do not guarantee that we will have vans available for the dates you need so be prepared for alternate transportation if we are not able to fulfill your request.

Email to submit a reservation request for vans.

Click here to learn more about the van fleet and how to submit a reservation request.

Student organizations are encouraged to use Zipcar for their transportation needs to travel off campus.

Also, if your student organization is interested in entering a contest to win prizes such as the $10,000 grand prize, $500 in gift cards, and $300 in driving credits, contact Tedd Vanadilok at to receive the details. Registration for this contest is by October 31, 2022.

Zoom Safety & Options

Zoom features when hosting events and meetings featuring speakers and panelists:

  • Zoom allows you to spotlight multiple people if you are doing a speaker series or panel discussion; this is helpful in unifying what your participants see in larger events and meetings.
  • Click here to learn more about spotlighting people in Zoom.
  • The following options are available:
    • 100 Participants: $20 per 7 days (unlimited webinar sessions & practice session).
    • 500 participants: $60 per 7 days (unlimited webinar sessions & practice session).
    • 7 days will include setting up the webinar, including practice sessions and rehearsals, running actual events, and running and downloading reports and videos.
    • If a technician is needed to lead practice sessions and actual event support, there will be an extra charge.
  • To learn more, contact Media Services at

Considerations for using Zoom for different audience sizes:

  • The regular Zoom platform allows audience sizes of up to 300 people including hosts, presenters, speakers, etc.
  • If your audience will be more than 300 people and they will be simply watching (no audience participation), then you can stream it live on Panopto; contact Media Services at to request a Panopto live stream.
  • However, if your audience will be more than 300 people and they will be expected to actively participate (versus simply watching), then there is a Zoom Webinar option; contact Media Services at to learn more.

Additional Information

Religious Holidays

Click here for a list of religious holidays to keep in mind when planning events and meetings during the academic year.

Gift Cards

Gift cards are not permitted to give as raffle and random drawing prizes or as gifts and prizes.

  • If you purchase gift cards, you will not be reimbursed.
  • Instead of gift cards, consider giving products as gifts.
  • To learn more, contact Tedd Vanadilok at

House Rentals

Student organizations are not permitted to rent from Airbnb, VRBO, or other house rental services.

  • Instead, please rent through hotels, hostels, campgrounds, retreat sites, and other similar establishments.
  • Payment or reimbursement requests for expenses related to Airbnb, VRBO, or other house rental services may not be approved.
For More Information

Contact: Tedd Vanadilok

Contact: Lori Salazar