Skip to main content

Outdoor Events

Reserve Outdoor Space

To reserve outdoor space, complete the Event Planning Request Form and talk to Lori Salazar who is the Assistant Director for Student Organizations in the Center for Student Involvement (408-551-1751) if you need help selecting an appropriate space.

Event Planning Request Form (online form)


Consult with Lori Salazar who is the Assistant Director for Student Organizations in the Center for Student Involvement (408-551-1751) to assist with the following aspects of your event that would be provided by Facilities.

In most cases, Facilities should be able to provide tables, chairs, and staging for free. Keep in mind, however, that if delivery, set-up, and tear-down of equipment are requested for a Saturday or Sunday, then your student organization must pay a fee to Facilities. Delivery and set-up on Friday and tear-down on Monday may be requested to forgo this fee, but the final decision is up to Facilities.

If you plan to serve food at your event, then you are required to have recycle, compost, and trash cans. The number of cans you need depend on the size of your event in terms of projected attendance and amount of outdoor space used.

If your event will be on one of the lawns, then you must request that the lawn sprinklers (also called irrigation system) are turned off during your event. Be sure to include event set-up and tear-down times when requesting times for the lawn sprinklers to be turned off.

The campus electrician can help your student organization determine the electrical needs of your event and provide adequate equipment such as extension cords, power-strips (multi-plugs), and spider boxes.

Amplified Sound

If your event is on a Friday evening or weekend, then you may have amplified sound as long as you are not next to an academic building where weekend classes are being held. A sound amplification permit is required from the City of Santa Clara.

Amplified sound is not permitted on weekdays (except Friday evenings) or during reading period, final exams, and commencement for the Law School.

Learn more about amplified sound and how to obtain a permit


Depending on the location and scope of your event, certain permits may be required. Such permits include (but are not limited to):

  • Sound amplification permit (see section above)
  • Street closure permit
  • Encroachment permit
  • Block party permit
  • Vendor permit
  • Food selling permit

Consult with your advisor in the Center for Student Involvement to discuss which permits are required for your event.

Security & Safety

If audience safety is of importance and/or a concern for your event, please contact Tedd Vanadilok at to learn about options. Your advisor in the Center for Student Involvement may also request that your event have measures in place to ensure audience safety.

Click here to learn more about crowd safety and security at events.

Depending on the size and scope of your event, you may be required to have Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) on site to provide medical assistance if needed.

Consult with your advisor in the Center for Student Involvement to discuss if EMTs would be required to be at your event or if it is fine for them to just be on call instead.

If you will be using a BBQ grill, having an approved bonfire, or using fire at your event, you are required to have a fire extinguisher at your event location at all times. Consult with your advisor in the Center for Student Involvement to request a fire extinguisher through the Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) Office.


To comply with city regulations on tents, please ensure the following when using tents or canopies:

  • The maximum size of a tent is 20 feet x 20 feet.
  • If needed to have tent coverage greater than 20 feet x 20 feet, consider putting multiple smaller tents side by side instead.
  • Tents that exceed the maximum size require an approved permit through the City of Santa Clara.
  • Stakes cannot be driven into the ground to secure tents; pop-up tents or tents secured by sand bags or similar weighted material are highly recommended.
  • Tents can only be on grass and not on sidewalks.
  • Small tents on Benson Plaza for tabling are permitted.
  • Do not block fire lanes or access to fire hydrants.

Wind speed is a factor for whether tents are permitted to be used at an outdoor event:

  • Tents are not permitted if wind speed exceeds 24 miles per hour.
  • If tents are already up when wind speeds are low, but weather changes during an event to produce wind speeds of 40 miles per hour or more, then evacuation from under the tent is required.


Make sure that your event has adequate access to restrooms. If your event is next to campus buildings that are open during your event, then restrooms in these buildings should be sufficient. However, if your event is during hours when buildings are closed, then your student organization needs to provide other options for restrooms. Options may include obtaining access (i.e. key or coded Access Card) to closed buildings and/or ordering porta-potties.

For More Information

Contact: Lori Salazar