Follow us on Social Media
Pre-Departure & Arrival
After you've completed Phase 1 of the application process, you'll officially move into Phase 2 if you are nominated by Santa Clara to study abroad, where you will begin to prepare for your global experience. This section of our website contains helpful information to further prepare you for this life-changing journey. If you have any questions as you navigate Phase 2, please be sure to reach out!
Please be sure to apply for your passport and secure a visa (if applicable). If you do need a visa, you will not be able to submit a visa application until you have a passport, so it is crucial to get started on this process early.
Phase 2: Program-Specific Application
- Complete your Phase 2: Program Specific Application by your program provider or host institution's application deadline.
- While you've been nominated to Study Abroad by Santa Clara University, if you do not submit your phase 2 application by your program's application deadline, you will risk being unable to attend the program.
Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation with SCU Study Abroad
- Attend your Mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation with SCU Study Abroad.
- Summer & Fall students will attend Pre-Departure Orientation in May.
- Spring/Winter students will attend Pre-Departure Orientation in November.
- Complete all Pre-Departure items in your SCU Study Abroad Portal when prompted.
Course Planning & Earning Credit
- Have you requested a course evaluation request for any courses not already approved in the course equivalency database? Do not skip this step!
- You are the pilot of your course planning. If you want to earn major, minor, or core credit for your courses abroad, they need to be approved and appear in the course equivalency database before your transcripts arrive to SCU.
Create Your Budget
- Planning your study abroad experience can come with some legitimate concerns about the cost.
- While you may not be able to travel for free, there are plenty of ways to save money and maximize your budget through clever planning and smart decisions. Learn more about money abroad and creating a budget.
Research Your Program Location
- To maximize your time abroad, please continue researching your host country and university/program location before you go so you can better transition into your new living environment.