When you study abroad, you embark on one of the great adventures of your life. With some forethought and a little planning, you can help ensure that your study abroad experience will deliver the adventure and education you want. The best way to achieve a healthy and safe study abroad experience is to inform yourself about basic health and safety issues before leaving the U.S. and to make informed and responsible decisions once abroad. Here are some considerations and resources (such as your international insurance policy) to help ensure a safe and healthy adventure.
- Program fees cover health and accidental insurance while abroad. Be sure to thoroughly review your health insurance coverage and share the details with your family.
- Register your trip with the US Department of State and review State Department health and safety information for your specific country.
- Carefully read all pre-departure materials.
- Become familiar with on-site emergency contacts and plans.
- Stay abreast of local developments.