During these pandemic days that often blend together into one strange blur, the Ignatian Center for Jesuit Education is offering the staff and faculty of SCU a spiritual program, rooted in the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius, that respects your very full schedules and seemingly endless virtual commitments. "Sensible: A Down-To-Earth Spiritual Exercises Program" is exactly that: an easy-to-use, gently guided, and extremely sensible way to dip your spiritual toes into the vast waters of Ignatian Spirituality. In essence, it is a Spiritual Exercises program without the enormous commitment of making the full Exercises.
What is the time commitment?
- Attend an info session (60 minutes)
- Complete one 20-30 minute contemplation (guided) per week for the quarter
- Spend some time in reflection on your own
- Share about your experience with others in the program 4x over the Fall quarter over Zoom
How does it work?
- Sign up to express your interest (sign-ups for Winter Quarter available soon)
- Attend one of the virtual info sessions (dates TBD).
- You will be emailed a digital recording of an Ignatian Contemplation every Monday. At some point during that week, you are asked to create a quiet, reflective space on your own and then simply hit “play” on the link. You will then be guided through a contemplation.
- After each contemplation, take some time on your own to reflect on the experience. That can range from simply pausing after the experience and just thinking about it, all the way to keeping a detailed journal. Whatever works for you!
- Attend four Zoom gatherings that will include guided prayer, spiritual conversation, and contemplative listening (see dates below).
- Complete the program at the end of the quarter.
- Complete an evaluation and consider other opportunities to deepen your experience of Ignatian Spirituality.
See the video below from Tony Cortese, SJ, our Program Manager for Ignatian Spirituality, for more information: