Friday, March 23 - Thursday, March 29, 2018
The Ignatian Center sends a group of SCU students to Oakland to engage with community members and learn about the social challenges and graces faced by the community in inner city Oakland. Participants will explore the complex social realities faced by various communities in the Oakland area. The St. Vincent de Paul Society will host the Santa Clara group for the duration of the immersion. The program will focus in particular on homelessness and poverty, the criminal justice system, food justice, and the educational system in the city. Some components of the immersion will include service in a soup kitchen and work with male groups at Saint Vincent de Paul as well as engagement with male youth in Oakland. Join us for this unique opportunity to engage in service and learning with other Santa Clara students.
“The Oakland Immersion gave me the opportunity to meditate on how my actions are to connected the social injustices in our local area. I learned how to carry the sense of wrongness we experienced with me, and I let it affect my choices for the better every day.”
- The application for the Class of 2022 Summer San Jose Immersion will open in July 2018.
- The application for the Jean Donovan Fellowship can be found here.
Selected participants will be expected to attend 4–5 pre-trip meetings and a pre-trip weekend retreat, as well as 3 post-trip meetings upon return.
- The application for Winter Break 2017 trips is closed.
- The application for Spring Break 2018 trips is closed.
- The application for Summer Break 2018 trips is closed.