Deborah Ross received her B.A. in Theology and Religious Studies with English from St. Mary's University, London, and her M.Th. in Pastoral Theology and Ph.D. in Theology from Heythrop College, University of London. Her Ph.D. focused on the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) faith-formation process. Deborah’s S.T.L. degree, with a concentration in Pastoral and Liturgical Theology, is from the Jesuit School of Theology of Santa Clara University.
Deborah’s academic interests include catechesis, Christian initiation, contextual theology, ecclesiology, pastoral and practical theology, sacramental and liturgical theology, and theological anthropology. Deborah is passionate about pastoral ministry and theological reflection and is pursuing research on the RCIA process and practical theology. As part of her role at JST, Deborah mentors and advises M.Div. students as they integrate their academic studies, ministerial experiences, and spirituality.
Deborah co-founded “Action Research Church and Society” (ARCS), a Heythrop College project, that facilitated theological reflection on pastoral practice through its partnerships with a diverse set of church groups and nonprofit agencies in London and the UK. The ARCS project empowered individuals in faith-based organizations to become more skilled practitioners. Deborah has engaged in parish, university, and sixth-form college ministry, and academic research, including the exploration of evangelization and mission in the Catholic Church in England and Wales.
Deborah previously taught theology and religious studies courses as an adjunct lecturer in the Santa Clara University (SCU) Religious Studies Department and the SCU Graduate Program in Pastoral Ministries (GPPM). She also taught courses as an adjunct professor in the St. Ignatius Institute at the University of San Francisco.
FE 1152: M.Div. Integration Seminar I
FE 2152: M.Div. Integration Seminar II
- Doing Theology as If People Mattered: Encounters in Contextual Theology, with Eduardo Fernández, SJ, and Stephen Bevans, SVD, editors (New York: Herder and Herder, 2019)
- “Introduction,” (with Eduardo Fernández), and book chapter, “Field Education at a Shared Parish: Navigating Contextual and Pastoral Opportunities,” in Doing Theology as If People Mattered: Encounters in Contextual Theology (New York: Herder and Herder, 2019)
- Research Report on Lay Ecclesial Formation at the Jesuit School of Theology, JST, 2018
- Introduction, Image and Pilgrimage in Christian Culture, by Victor and Edith Turner (New York: Columbia University Press, 2011)
- Talking About God in Practice: Theological Action Research and Practical Theology, co-author (London: SCM, 2010)