Santa Clara Celebrates Campus Sustainability Week and Top Rankings for Sustainability
SANTA CLARA, Calif., Oct. 22— Santa Clara University will celebrate the nationwide Campus Sustainability Week this week with an array of campus events designed to highlight the University’s award-winning approach to sustainability and protection of the planet.
Santa Clara has much to celebrate in the realm of sustainability, where it is both a pioneer and a leader in putting sustainability into action in its curriculum, practices, purchasing and priorities.
- Santa Clara was recently ranked No. 13 (in the top 4 percent) of the 399 top Green Schools ranked by college admission services company Princeton Review. The ranking looked at factors such as whether campus life is “healthy and sustainable;” whether schools are preparing students well for employment in an increasingly green economy; and how environmentally responsible a school's policies are.
- Santa Clara was also ranked No. 13 in Sierra Magazine’s "Cool Schools" list, which noted SCU’s 90 percent participation in community-based learning, including Bronco Urban Gardens, SCU’s food justice outreach program; the 93 percent of departments offering sustainability courses; as well as Santa Clara’s ambitious sustainability goals.
- Santa Clara also came in third for overall excellence in sustainability among master’s level institutions by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE). SCU’s Gold Level ranking by AASHE reflects strong activity in educating students and reducing the school's usage and waste in areas like water, transportation, energy use, and food and dining services.
During Sustainability Week (Oct. 22-26), Santa Clara University students are being invited to:
- Sign up for a role in campus efforts during Campus Sustainability Day Fair, in front of the Learning Commons, Wednesday, Oct. 24, , from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Attend the Forge Garden Harvest Fest Friday, Oct. 26, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Enjoy pumpkin carving, live music, heirloom popcorn tasting, student bands, caramel apple bar, and local produce—as well as SCU’s garden club, whose members will be cooking up pizzas in the new wood-fired oven. In addition, Residence Energy Challenge Champions will be lauded for their conservation prowess.
- Participate in a tree planting on the lawn in front of Nobili Hall, Fri 10/26, 12 to 2 p.m.
Other sustainability resources at SCU:
Learn about the management of waste and its connection to greenhouse gas emissions and climate change, during a Sustainability Series talk, on Friday, Nov. 2, from noon to 1 p.m.
Learn about becoming a Sustainability Guide
Tips for students, staff, and others to become more sustainable
Recent videos about sustainability initiatives and leaders at SCU
About Santa Clara University
Santa Clara University, a comprehensive Jesuit, Catholic university located 40 miles south of San Francisco in Californiaís Silicon Valley, offers its more than 9,000 students rigorous undergraduate curricula in arts and sciences, business, and engineering; masterís degrees in business, education, counseling psychology, pastoral ministry, and theology; and law degrees and engineering doctoral degrees. Distinguished nationally by one of the highest graduation rates among all U.S. masterís universities, Californiaís oldest operating higher-education institution demonstrates faith-inspired values of ethics and social justice. For more information, see www.scu.edu.
Deborah Lohse | SCU Media Communications | firstname.lastname@example.org | 408-554-5121