Skip to main content

Supportive Measures


Supportive measures are offered and provided promptly and equitably to either or both the reporting party/Complainant or the Respondent upon receipt of any report or Formal Complaint. Supportive measures are intended to address any immediate concerns for health and safety and facilitate an individual's continued access to their educational program and employment, as appropriate. 

Supportive measures are non-disciplinary, non-punitive and individualized, as appropriate, as reasonably available, and without fee or charge to the reporting party/Complainant or Respondent.  Supportive measures may be requested, modified, or discontinued at any time.


What is a No Contact Directive?

A No Contact Directive (NCD) is a supportive measure put into place by the University to prevent further contact between two parties. A NCD is issued for students by the Office of Student Life and by Human Resources for staff/ faculty and is not a punitive measure. The NCD does not unduly interfere with educational or work experiences. 

When one member of the University community is having difficulty with another University community member, a person may make a good faith request for the University to intervene with a supportive measure, the NCD. 

A NCD does not mean that the parties will not see each other on campus, rather the purpose is to limit contact and interactions between the parties. A No Contact Directive does not unduly interfere with educational or work experiences. 

A No Contact Directive can be modified to reflect the specific interaction/ communication needs of the involved individuals. In general, a NCD stipulates the following: 

  • The NCD requires that neither you nor the other involved individual(s) may have any contact with each other, in person, or through another party, by telephone, letter, e-mail, or other electronic media, or by any other means, including via social media. This applies on campus and in the local vicinity, at University-sponsored events, and/or to electronic communication (from any location). 
  • You nor the other party may not engage in indirect communication, including via social media or any other means. 
  • You must also refrain from any form of harassment, retaliation, or intimidating behavior. If harassment, retaliation or intimidation occurs, you should report it immediately to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX, Human Resources, or the Office of Student Life here If at any time either one of you feels the need to communicate with the other, you may do so only through the Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX, Human Resources, the Office of Student Life, or through a third party explicitly authorized by the Office of Student Life.

Who can request a No Contact Directive and for what reasons?

Any student can request a No Contact Directive, in good faith, when they are concerned about their safety and interactions with another student.

Any employee (faculty or staff) can request a No Contact Directive, in good faith,  when they are concerned about their interactions with another employee. Employees should contact Human Resources

  • If you have immediate safety concerns on campus, you should contact Campus Safety Services at (408) 554-4441

A No Contact Directive is restricted to campus/ university events and activities. If you are concerned about your safety off-campus, you may wish to obtain a temporary restraining order or order of protection which is issued by the courts. 

How do I get a temporary restraining order or Order of Protection?

You may consider filing a police report with local law enforcement- Santa Clara Police Department or San Jose Police Department. You do not need to file a police report to obtain a restraining order, but it may be helpful. 

You should contact the Superior Court for Santa Clara County:


Does the No Contact Directive prevent me from talking about the parties to others? 

While the NCD addresses concerns of addressing one another directly, and does not explicitly prohibit discussion about the involved parties to others, the University strongly encourages those who obtain a NCD to refrain from posting comments on any social media outlet or forum in an effort to prevent a claim of retaliation. 

 What if I'm unsure about what to do? 

You should schedule an appointment with the Office of Student Life, Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX or Human Resources to talk through your possible options. A representative will provide you with information that will allow you to make the decision that you believe is best. 

You may also reach out to CONFIDENTIAL RESOURCES such as Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS), the Wellness Center, or a member of Clergy during the act of confessio

Is this punitive under the Student Conduct Code/ Employee Handbook?

No. The No Contact Directive is not a punitive measure, it is a supportive measure. It is designed to prevent unnecessary communication between both parties affected by the directive. 

Being issued a No Contact Directive, does not indicate any charge of a policy violation, nor does it mean that the party who requested it is pursuing any formal resolution or investigation. 

The No Contact Directive does not unduly interfere with education or work experiences. Should a party violate the No Contact Directive, this could result in a finding of a policy violation by the Office of Student Life or by Human Resources. 

What if we have to access the same class, space or facility on campus?

We recognize that the NCD limits movement around campus but the NCD cannot and does not unduly interfere with work or educational experiences.  

Will the other party know my identity? 

In order for this supportive measure to be effective, the other party will know your identity. 

The Office of Student Life or Human Resources will speak with you about the specifics of your directive. If you have a need to utilize the same space or facility (for example you may live in the same residence hall, attend or teach a class or work in the same academic building, or want to use the fitness center at a similar time) you should inform the Office of Student Life or Human Resources representative of your needs during your conversation. 

Each No Contact Directive is specifically tailored to the needs of the involved parties keeping in mind that some reasonable interaction (passing each other as you get to class or as you go to your room or office) may be inevitable. 

How long do these directives last? 

Ordinarily these orders are intended to be temporary, but may be modified or extended as the university deems necessary.

Can a No Contact Directive be Modified? 

Should you need modifications to the No Contact Directive once it has been issued, you should meet with the Office of Student Life or Human Resources representative assigned to your case. (This is the person who issued the directive).

What happens if someone violates the terms or conditions of a No Contact Directive?

 The Office of Student Life or Human Resources may pursue punitive or judicial action against an individual who has violated the directive. You should contact the Office of Student Life or Human Resources representative who issued the order for further support. 

CAPS services are available free of charge to all enrolled students 

Employee Assistance (

  •     SCU’s Employee Assistance Benefits are provided by our third party, Concern. 800-344-4222 Company Code: scueap
  •     Services include: 

o   Clinical Support Services

o   Work & Life Services

o   Health & Wellness Tools

-  This notification is sent via email on your behalf from the Office of Student Life. It does not disclose details of the circumstance for the request of additional support. 

-  This notification informs your faculty that due to a personal circumstance you may be tardy in completing assignments or coursework or that you may have to miss classes. 

-  This is a supportive measure that allows the faculty member the opportunity to consider that you may have additional hardships in your life preventing your complete focus on your coursework. 

-  Students are also encouraged to individually correspond with faculty regarding their specific needs pertaining to coursework and assignment deadlines and/ or missed classes. You do not need to disclose any details of your situation. 

Please note that this notice does not excuse you from attending class, taking quizzes or exams or completing assignments. 

-  The Title IX Coordinator will work with your assigned supervisor regarding work schedules or the Drahmann Center when appropriate to assist in altering class schedules (if possible.) 

-  If a class modification is not possible, the Title IX Coordinator will work with the Drahmann Center in conjunction with the specific faculty of the assigned course. It may be the case that Faculty create a directed study opportunity for you to complete that coursework.

Please note that some course modifications are difficult to accommodate especially as it pertains to labs or other such classes. 

Security Escort Services: Campus Safety provides security escorts to/from SCU property during the hours of darkness or upon special request. Campus Safety may limit how far away from campus the escort may go based upon staffing and activity levels.

Escorts CAN NOT be provided to bars or parties, or to run errands. To request an escort call (408) 554-4441.

The Title IX Coordinator will work with the Housing Office regarding available options to relocate your housing assignment upon request. 

The Title IX Coordinator can assist you in connecting with the Office of Accessible Education (formerly Disabilities Resources) to ensure that you have access to all academic programs and University resources.