Skip to main content

Reporting an Incident

Making a Report and Supportive Measures

The University strongly encourages you to report any incidents of discrimination, sex-based harassment (including sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking), retaliation, and other civil-rights based offenses to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX.

After making a report, you can access supportive measures even if you choose not to file a formal complaint with the Office.

Contact another University Official with Authority

In addition to Notice or reports made to the Director of Equal Opportunity and Title IX Coordinator, individuals may provide notice or make a report to the President of the Santa Clara University, to any member of the Cabinet, and any of the Deans of Colleges or Directors of Centers of Distinction. Click the section below to expand the list of current University officials.

Reporting to the Office of EO and Title IX

How to Report

What Happens After You Make a Report

After you make a report, we will offer you a meeting during which we will: 

  • Evaluate your safety and support needs,
  • Discuss your options under the University policy, and
  • Assist with coordinating supportive measures

When you make a report to our office, we will keep your information as private as possible. At the time, you do not have to decide to file a formal complaint or choose any particular course of action. Coming to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX does not obligate you to initiate a University investigation or report the incident to law enforcement.

Filing a Formal Complaint

To initiate an investigation under the EO/TIX Policy, a formal complaint must be filed. A formal complaint may be withdrawn at any time. Upon the filing of the formal complaint, the University will respond by conducting a prompt, thorough, and equitable investigation and, if warranted, will take disciplinary action against a respondent.

Prior to completing a formal complaint, a representative of the Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX will review the following with the complainant:

  • The availability of supportive measures (whether or not a formal complaint is filed);
  • The process for filing a formal complaint; and
  • The investigation, hearings, and appeals process.

To initiate a formal complaint you must provide the following information to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX:

  • Your name
  • Name of the respondent
  • Date of the incident (if known)
  • Location of the incident (if known)
  • A description of the alleged prohibited conduct

The Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX will assist you to complete the appropriate formal complaint procedure and submit your formal complaint.

Reporting to Law Enforcement

You can report an incident to Campus Safety Services (CSS) and/or local law enforcement before, during, or after making a report or filing a formal complaint with the Office of Equal Opportunity Title IX.

Supportive Measures

When you report alleged prohibited conduct to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX, we can support you in a variety of ways including access to medical care, counseling, and other support from the University. These support services are available to you even if you do not report the incident to law enforcement or choose to initiate a University investigation. Examples include:

  • Issuing a mutual no-contact directive between the complainant and respondent, prohibiting both parties from having verbal, physical, or written contact with each other for a definite or indefinite period of time
  • Connecting to campus resources (CAPs, Wellness Center, CSS, etc.)
  • Exploring changes in living and working arrangements
  • Exploring changes in class schedules
  • Exploring academic support options
  • Assisting you in communicating with faculty
  • Support in reporting to law enforcement 
  • Requesting that publicly available directory information be removed from University sources

Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX
Loyola Hall Suite 140

(408) 551-3043

M-F 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM

Closed for lunch 12:00 PM – 12:30 PM

Get Help Now Report an Incident Submit an Anonymous Report Contact Us