Santa Clara University to Celebrate Class of 2022 with In-Person Commencement Events
SANTA CLARA, Calif., May 13, 2022—Santa Clara University will host a series of in-person events to celebrate its undergraduate and graduate students from the Class of 2022 this May and June.
On June 11, for the second year in a row, the undergraduate commencement will consist of a .75-mile procession of graduates and their friends and families through Santa Clara University’s campus, starting in front of the Dowd Art and Art History Building. Dressed in their academic attire, each Class of 2022 graduate will have their name read aloud, receive their diploma cover, and have their photo taken by a professional photographer as they walk across a stage in front of the historic Mission Church. The stage crossing will be livestreamed for all to view.
“We are very proud of the many wonderful accomplishments of the Class of 2022,” said Acting President Lisa Kloppenberg. “Our graduates persevered through months of uncertainty and challenges, and still found ways to make the most of all Santa Clara had to offer. It will be a joy to celebrate as they embark on their next steps as men and women for others.”
In addition to the June 11 commencement procession, several other celebratory events will take place in the days prior.
- A Senior Awards and Toast will be on Wednesday, June 1, to celebrate the impressive accomplishments of graduating seniors. SCU’s Class of 2022 valedictorian will provide remarks, and honored faculty and staff will offer a toast to the graduates. An outdoor reception in the Mission Gardens will follow the awards ceremony. The program will be livestreamed on the SCU Commencement website.
- On the evening of June 4, Class of 2022 graduates are invited to join SCU donors and the campus community at the 56th Annual Golden Circle Concert, featuring the San Francisco-based rock band Journey, at Stevens Stadium.
- During the week of June 6, the Office for Multicultural Learning will host a series of festive multicultural recognition ceremonies to celebrate students of color and LGBTQIA+ students in the graduating class.
- On Friday, June 10, graduates and their families are invited to participate in a student-planned Campus Liturgy at 5 p.m. in the Mission Gardens.
- Immediately following the liturgy, the Alumni Association will host a Grad Bash celebration at Bellomy Field. Graduates will gather with their classmates and family to honor their time as students and kick off their alumni journey.
Jesuit School of Theology
The Jesuit School of Theology will celebrate its graduates with the following livestreamed events:
- Commencement Mass on Friday, May 20, in the Jesuit School of Theology Chapel.
- Lay Sending Liturgy on Saturday, May 21, in the Jesuit School of Theology Chapel. During this Liturgy of the Word, the school community sends forth its lay graduates for ministry and service in the Church and in the world.
- Commencement Ceremony on Saturday, May 21, at 3 p.m. at All Souls Episcopal Church in Berkeley.
School of Law
School of Law commencement activities kick off on Friday, May 20, with a Commencement Liturgy in the Mission Church at 4 p.m., and a reception immediately following in the Mission Gardens.
The School of Law Commencement Ceremony will take place in the Mission Gardens at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, May 21. A reception will immediately follow.
Judge Edward J. Davila will be the speaker at the School of Law Commencement Ceremony.
Judge Davila began his legal career with the Santa Clara County Office of the Public Defender. In 1989 he established the criminal defense firm of Davila & Polverino in San Jose. Davila was appointed to the Santa Clara County Superior Court in 2001, and he has been actively involved with the Santa Clara Bar Association, having served as a past president.
Graduate School Commencement Celebrations
The Graduate Commencement celebrations will take place on June 11, and will consist of a .75-mile festive walking procession through Santa Clara University’s campus followed by livestreamed stage-crossing by the graduates.
- 4:30 p.m. - School of Education and Counseling Psychology and Graduate Program in Pastoral Ministries
- 6 p.m. - School of Engineering
- 7:30 p.m. - Leavey School of Business
About Santa Clara University
Founded in 1851, Santa Clara University sits in the heart of Silicon Valley—the world’s most innovative and entrepreneurial region. The University’s stunningly landscaped 106-acre campus is home to the historic Mission Santa Clara de Asís. Ranked among the top 15 percent of national universities by U.S. News & World Report, SCU has among the best four-year graduation rates in the nation and is rated by PayScale in the top 1 percent of universities with the highest-paid graduates. SCU has produced elite levels of Fulbright Scholars as well as four Rhodes Scholars. With undergraduate programs in arts and sciences, business, and engineering, and graduate programs in six disciplines, the curriculum blends high-tech innovation with social consciousness grounded in the tradition of Jesuit, Catholic education. For more information see www.scu.edu.
Deborah Lohse | SCU Media Communications| email@example.com | 408-554-5121