Skip to main content

Academic Policies

Students Outside

Academic Regulations

Most of the academic regulations that apply in the fall, winter and spring quarters also apply to the summer terms.  Courses taken during Summer Sessions are included in the records of matriculated Santa Clara University students for the determination of GPA, class level, honors, probation, and disqualification.  Any student who is not permitted to register during fall, winter, or spring quarters (e.g., disqualified, suspension) may not enroll in summer courses at SCU.

Administrative Cancellation of Course Enrollment
  • The Administrative Cancellation of Course Enrollment policy is not in effect in the summer as it is during the fall, winter and spring quarters. Students who are officially enrolled in a class and fail to attend the first and any subsequent class meetings will remain enrolled in the class, and be responsible for paying all tuition and fees associated with the class.
  • Students are responsible for dropping a course if they are unable to attend due to changes in the class schedule or personal obligations.
  • Non-attendance does NOT relieve a student of the obligation to pay tuition and fees. In addition to paying full tuition and fees, an academic hold will be placed on the student's account to prevent any further registration transactions.
  • Students who do not formally drop a class for which they are officially enrolled will receive an "F" grade for the course(s), and be liable for all tuition and fees incurred during the summer.
  • Students must formally drop a course via eCampus or by submitting a Drop Form to the Enrollment Services Center prior to the published deadlines.


Course Load Limits Policy/Overload Policy

There are NO EXCEPTIONS TO THE COURSE LOAD POLICY for Summer Sessions. Students who register for more than the maximum course load will be administratively withdrawn from the course that creates the overload. Students who add overload units in violation of this policy may not receive credit for the course that causes the policy violation.

The intensive pace of Sessions 1, 2, and 3 require the following restrictions on summer course loads:

Session 1

  • Students may not enroll in more than 10 units during this session.

Session 2

  • Students may not enroll in more than 10 units during this session.

Session 3 (A, B and C)

  • Students may not enroll in or attend more than one Session 3 lab science (chemistry or physics) course at a time.
  • If enrolled in or attending a Session 3 lab science course, students may not be simultaneously enrolled in or attending a Session 1, 2, or 4 course. 

Auditing Courses

Non-SCU and non-degree seeking SCU students may not audit courses. Degree-seeking students may audit one course in addition to the Summer Sessions course load limit on a space available basis.  Students will be charged a course audit fee. Permission to audit must be given by the instructor by the last day to add a class. Submit completed audit forms to the Enrollment Services Center by the last day to add a class.


Course Cancellations

Santa Clara University reserves the right to make changes in the schedules or policies without prior notice or obligation. If a course is canceled, the Summer Sessions Office will immediately send a notification to your address. Please check your SCU email daily.


Course Numbering System

Courses numbered 1 through 99 are lower-division courses for which students generally receive four quarter units of credit. Lower-division courses are recommended for first-year students and sophomores. Upper-division courses are numbered 100 through 199, and students generally receive five quarter units of credit. Upper-division courses are recommended for juniors and seniors.


Enrollment Confirmations Via eCampus

All students can retrieve their course schedules online via eCampus to confirm their enrollment in Summer courses. Course confirmations will not be mailed by the University.

Returning summer students will be notified at the email address listed in the application along when your eCampus ID has been activated for the Summer 2021 term.  If you did not receive this email, contact the Summer Sessions Office at

If you are a new summer student:  your eCampus ID and password will be sent to the email listed in the application by the system and may be in your spam filter. If you did not receive the ID, contact the Summer Sessions Office at


Enrollment and Course Restriction Policy

Students may not sit in classes without formally enrolling. Credit is not given to students who attend class without formally enrolling and paying tuition. Students must be officially registered in classes based on the procedures outlined on the Summer Sessions website and must have paid all tuition and fees by the published deadlines.

The instructor's signature on an add form after the add period does not constitute a formal enrollment without tuition payment. Initial registration or class additions will not be accepted beyond the late registration/add period as set forth in the Summer Sessions calendar.

Students who enroll in a course for which they are not eligible are subject to administrative withdrawal from that course. This includes:

  • Students who have not satisfied course prerequisites
  • Students who have not obtained the instructor's permission as specified in certain courses.


Independent Study

Eligible Santa Clara University students may pursue an independent study with the approval of a faculty member. Interested students should review the Independent Study section in the Undergraduate Bulletin for additional information.



Interested current Santa Clara University students should inquire with individual departments and programs for information about summer internships.


Pass/No Pass Grading Option

A grade of "P" signifies that the quality of work done is equivalent to a letter grade of "C" or higher, while a grade of "NP" denotes work at the level of "C-" or lower. A maximum of six courses taken under the pass/no pass option in which the student receives a mark of "P" can be used to fulfill the unit requirements for graduation.

Some courses are offered only on a pass/no pass basis. If a graded option is not available, a course can satisfy Core, major, and/or minor requirements. A student with junior or senior standing and a declared major may choose to take an elective course on a pass/no pass basis. Students may enroll in only one elective course on a pass/no pass basis per quarter. The P/NP option must be selected by the last day to drop a class without a W as listed on the Summer Sessions calendar and is not reversible after that time. Students can a change their grade option to P/NP by completing a form at


Performance Standards in the Sciences

Prerequisites for courses in lower-division sequences in Biology (21,22,23,24), Physics (31,32,33,34; 11,12,13), and Chemistry (11,12,13,14; 31,32,33) will include successful completion of the prior course in the sequence. Students who do not meet this standard may not be permitted to enroll in the next course of the sequence. For further information, contact the Biology, Chemistry, and Biochemistry, or Physics departments.


Repetition of Courses

Students may repeat a course in which they receive less than a C-. All courses, whether repeated or not, are included in the GPA calculation, but units will be awarded only once for a passed course. A few courses are designated as repeatable and you may enroll in them for credit and a grade each time.


Dropping Sessions 3B and 3C Courses

Students who wish to drop a Sessions 3B and/or 3C courses must send an email to with their name, student ID number, and course(s) they wish to drop.

Units Taken at Other Institutions

As stated in the 2020-21 Undergraduate Bulletin

"After enrolling at Santa Clara University, students can receive credit for coursework completed at other colleges and universities for no more than 10 quarter units of free electives, subject to the limitation that no more than half of the total quarter units required for a Santa Clara degree can be earned at another institution. Transfer credit earned after initial enrollment at Santa Clara may not be used to fulfill Undergraduate Core Curriculum, college or school, department, or program requirements." 
Additional information is available in "Units Taken at Other Institutions" section of the Bulletin.

Petition for Exception to University Policy

If you feel an exception to policy is warranted, you need to submit a completed Student Petition form to the Registrar.  All petitions for exceptions must be electronically submitted to the Office of the Registrar.