Resources for Startup Companies
Whether currently at a startup or simply getting your entrepreneurial juices flowing, the following list of resources is helpful for providing you some of the resources you need for a successful business.
There are various local and national networks to join as a small business, which may may help you with a variety of valuable resources, a strong support group, and much more. Take a look below for networks that may interest you.
- U.S. Small Business Administration
- SCORE - Counselors to America's Small Business
- Silicon Valley SCORE
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Small Business Nation
- National Federation of Independent Businesses
- National Association for the Self-Employed
- United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
It is vital for all startups to begin planning with a clear business model and purposeful strategy. Check out the following links for additional help with business planning:
- Sample 1 Page Executive Summary-A concise, easy to read format
- Bplans.com - Your business starts here.
- Deming Center for Entrepreneurship - Writing a Successful Business Plan
- Free Legal Documents Courtesy of UpCounsel
- Free Legal Guides Courtesy of UpCounsel
- Guy Kawasaki's The Only 10 Slides You Need in a Pitch
- Business Ethics-The Markkula Center for Applied Ethics, Santa Clara University
- San Jose Chamber of Commerce
- San Francisco Chamber of Commerce
- IRS - California Workshops
- California Governor's Office of Business & Economic Development
Silicon Valley SBA-Friendly Banks
Following is a sampling of just a few area banks that make SBA-backed loans, including contact information (the links below are links to the SBA loan area of each institution):
- Superior Financial Group in Walnut Creek
- Pinnacle Bank in Morgan Hill
(408) 762-7163, Barbara Holland or Mark Ruiz
- Wells Fargo (while larger, it does do smaller SBA guaranteed loans)
(408) 995-3660, Greg Mitchell
- U.S. Bank NA
In addition, many credit unions offer SBA-backed loans, such as Tech CU in the Silicon Valley area. Gaebler.com has a list of links by city for banks with business loans, most of which offer SBA loans.
- USA.gov for Nonprofits
- Society for Non-Profits
- National Council of NonProfits - Including "How to Start a Nonprofit"
- Start a Nonprofit Corporation-CA Governor's Office of Business & Economic Development
When marketing your new company, be sure to stay updated on the best ways you can market to your customers!
- The Unavoidable Ethical Dilemmas That Entrepreneurs Face-The Markkula Center for Applied Ethics, Santa Clara University
- Microsoft Office - Business Plan Templates
- Social Entrepreneurship Open-Content Site
- Easy online scheduling tool (free of charge and without registration)
- United States Patent & Trademark Office Fee Schedule
- The Ethical Startup LinkedIn Group-The Markkula Center for Applied Ethics, Santa Clara University
- Jim Blasingame - The Small Business Advocate
- Fast Company
- Silicon Valley-SF Bay Area Startup Digest (newsletter/calendar of events and activities)