Verification is the process established by the U.S. Department of Education to check the accuracy of aid applications. If you were selected for verification, you will need to provide the specific documentation requested based on your dependency status.
Participation in the verification process is not optional. If you do not submit the requested documentation, you will not be eligible to receive federal, state or University need-based financial aid.
NOTE: Failure to meet the verification deadline may result in aid not being reinstated. Any delays in sending documentation may result in you not having your aid by the beginning of the quarter. In this case, it is your obligation to pay the account balance on your student account.
IRS Data Retrieval Tool
NOTE: The IRS Date Retrieval Tool remains unavailable by the IRS and U.S. Department of Education.
IRS Tax Return Transcript
To obtain your IRS Tax Return Transcript
There are several ways that you may obtain an IRS Tax Return Transcript.
- Use the Online Services at www.irs.gov to "Get a tax transcript".
- Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 and follow the prompts to enter the Social Security number and numbers of the street address as it appears on your tax return. Select "Option 2"to request the transcript.
- Complete IRS Form 4506T-EZ and mail or fax the form to the IRS. You may download it from www.irs.gov. Once the transcript is received, write your name and your SCU ID number on the form and fax it to 1-408-554-2154 or mail it to the Financial Aid Office.
- Visit your local IRS Office. You may obtain your local IRS Office location address at www.irs.gov/localcontacts. Be sure to request a Tax Return Transcript not an Account Transcript.
Student Certification of Non-Filing
If you did not and will not file a federal income tax return, you must complete the "Non Tax Return Filer" section of the Santa Clara University Verification Worksheet.
Parent Certification of Non-Filing
If your parent(s) did not and will not file a federal income tax return, they must complete the "Non Tax Return Filer" section of the Santa Clara University Verification Worksheet.
- Standard Verification Worksheet - Dependent
- Aggregate Verification Worksheet - Dependent
- Custom Verification Worksheet - Dependent
- Standard Verification Worksheet - Independent
- Aggregate Verification Worksheet - Independent
- Custom Verification Worksheet - Independent
- Comment 399 Request Form
- Identity and Statement of Educational Purpose Form