Skip to main content


To be eligible to receive federal, state or Santa Clara University financial aid you must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. You may be required to submit proof of your citizenship status before your financial aid application can be considered complete.

IMPORTANT: Enter your full legal name on your financial aid application(s). Do not use a preferred name or nickname on your financial aid application(s).

Your legal name is typically found on your Social Security Card. If you are a U.S. citizen, you must answer "U.S. citizen"to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) question "Are you a U.S. citizen?" If you are a U.S. Permanent Resident or other eligible non-citizen, you must answer "Eligible Non-citizen" and then enter your 9-digit USCIS/ Alien Registration Number on the FAFSA.

If after following the steps specified above you receive a request for proof of citizenship, you must present acceptable documentation of your citizenship status to the Financial Aid Office.

  • U.S. Passport, or
  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship or U.S. Certificate of Naturalization, or
  • U.S. Passport card, or
  • if you are a U.S. Citizen who was born in the United States, you may provide your Birth Certificate
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or
  • Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MIRV)
  • copies of all I-797C letters from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and
  • a copy of your most recent I-94, and
  • a copy of your foreign passport, and
  • a copy of your Form I-485 Application for Register Permanent Resident status

International Students

International students are not eligible to receive federal or state aid. Santa Clara University does provide merit-based scholarships to undergraduate international students. International graduate students should contact their appropriate graduate school for aid program information.

DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals students are not eligible to receive federal aid. If you qualify under AB540 you may be eligible to receive California state aid.