Skip to main content

Selective Service and Veteran Benefits

Selective Service

Almost all male U.S. citizens, regardless of where they reside, and non-citizens living in the U.S. who are 18 through 25, are required by federal law to register with the Selective Service.

Santa Clara University financial aid policies are designed to be consistent with federal and state laws, including the Selective Service law. Accordingly, all male recipients of federal and state financial aid are required to be in compliance with Selective Service registration requirements. Individuals who are required to register can do so only after they reach the age of 18 and before their 26th birthday. Those required to register who fail to do so may forfeit their eligibility for federal and state aid permanently, if they cannot demonstrate that their failure to register was not done knowingly and willfully.

Aid applicants can register for the Selective Service online by selecting the appropriate option on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or at the Selective Service registration website. For more information about who is required to register or what to do if you did not register on time, go to the Selective Service System website.

Veterans Benefits

Santa Clara University's Veteran Services is located within the Office of the Registrar. Their main function is to certify and report enrollment information to the Veterans Administration to ensure receipt of educational benefits by eligible students.

Federal Financial Aid

Your federal financial aid will not be reduced due to your receipt of Veterans' Benefits.

Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA)

Interest on federal loans obtained prior to your military service is limited to 6% during periods of active duty. The interest rate limitation also applies to any private education loans you may have. For more information about Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA), visit U.S. Department of Justice.

Veterans Benefits Recipients

Santa Clara University may be notified by the Veterans Administration about your VA benefits, but you should still notify us of your benefits if you have not done so already. In addition, notify us if the amount of your VA benefit has changed.

For more information about VA Benefits, visit U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.