Skip to main content

Undocumented Students

Undocumented students who meet the AB540 criteria can be considered for state aid programs by the California Dream Act.


Navigate to our Citizenship page to find what documents we accept.


You are an AB540 student if you meet the following criteria:

  • Attended a California high school for at least three years
  • Graduated from a California high school or passed the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) or have a GED
  • Enrolling in an accredited California institution of higher education
  • In the case of students without legal immigration status, you must complete the AB540 Affidavit - DREAM Act stating that you have filed or will file an application to legalize your immigration status as soon as you are eligible to do so

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) does not make you eligible for federal aid, however, if you meet the AB540 criteria you can be considered for state aid programs.

Other Financial Resources

The following organizations provide scholarship assistance for undocumented students:

Hurtado Scholarships

The Alberto Hurtado, S.J. Scholarship is an independent award package, granted by the Jesuit Community of Santa Clara University, which covers the cost of a 4-year undergraduate education at SCU. This scholarship is set aside for students who have met the initial acceptance requirements of the university and who are considered most needy by terms of Federal eligibility. Following the Jesuit belief that, “Education is a God given human right,” this scholarship currently exists to support undocumented students who are ineligible for traditional established fund avenues for higher education. The students awarded the scholarship are selected by the Jesuit Community at Santa Clara University.

Hurtado Scholarship recipients are asked to confirm enrollment deposit by May 1st. The deposit consists of a $500 enrollment fee, and a $500 housing fee.

California Dream Act Application

To apply you will need to complete the California Dream Application. The Dream Application will collect basic personal and income information to determine student eligibility for funding under AB131.

NOTE: The Board of Governors Fee Waivers, Middle Class Scholarship, EOPS, CARE and CalWORKs are only offered at California public colleges and universities. These programs are not available at Santa Clara University.