Eligibility for test accommodation services is determined by the Office of Accessible Education (OAE) and is provided for courses where the functional limitation(s) indicate a need.
Students receive confirmation of prescribed accommodation(s) through the Eligibility Letter delivered through OAE Online Services (MyOAE). Students must request prescribed testing accommodations each quarter and for each class where needed.
After requesting your accommodations for the term in the OAE online system, a “Faculty Notification Letter” will be emailed to your instructor(s). You must meet with your instructor(s) within 2 weeks after you’ve requested your accommodations for the term. At this meeting, you will need to discuss with your instructor(s) your approved accommodations, specifically how the instructor(s) will provide your testing accommodation(s). If the professor is unable to implement your testing accommodations, due to but not limited to, the following:
- Double time (2X) extension for exams and other testing accommodations that cannot be met outside of the OAE testing center,
- Four or more students requiring extra time in one section of the same class,
- Extenuating circumstances, which will be reviewed on a case by case basis in collaboration with OAE, instructor, and student,
Then you may calendar your exam through the online system following OAE established exam scheduling processes.
In order to best support students registered with OAE and to facilitate a seamless process for both students and faculty, students requesting for OAE to administer their exams need to calendar their exam requests via their myOAE portal at least 5 full business days in advance of the exam date/time. OAE required advance notice to allow sufficient time to process requests and retrieve exams instructions as well as the exam to be administered from the instructor.
Please note you will be unable to calendar your exam request on the OAE online system if the instructor has failed to submit the Alternative Testing Guideline (ATG). If this occurs, please follow up with your instructor directly as they will be responsible for administering your exams.
Exam appointments are accepted on a "first-requested, first-approved" basis and seating is subject to availability. OAE testing center hours are Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. We are closed during weekends and holidays.
Alternative Test Site
Alternative Test Site- A reduced distraction environment that is reasonably quiet with low stimuli. The environment doesn’t need to be a silent private setting nor necessitate students testing with OAE.
Students must review each course syllabus to determine if testing accommodations are required. For courses requiring testing accommodations, students must log in to their MyOAE to submit their request(s) at the start of each term. The request will generate and send a Notification Letter to faculty notifying them of the prescribed accommodations.
Students are responsible to follow up with faculty to request meetings as soon as possible (preferably during office hours or by appointment) to discuss test accommodations. All testing arrangements will be arranged and agreed upon between student and faculty. For exams being administered by OAE (see below), students must submit an alternative testing request for each exam on MyOAE. The course syllabi will state the number of exams for the quarter, this includes quizzes, midterms, and final. OAE recommends all exam requests be entered at the start of each quarter. If the exams accommodation(s) are not requested in a timely manner (at least five full business days prior to the actual exam date) students testing accommodations may not be implemented by instructors and or OAE due to insufficient notice.
Administration of exams are as follow:
- Fall, Winter & Spring: Exams are administered Monday through Friday between 8:30AM -4:30PM. All exams are administered in Benson 1, unless otherwise arranged.
- Extended hours are available during finals week.
- Show up to your exam at least 15 minutes prior to your exam time with allowed testing materials - no extra calculators, Scantrons, writing materials, or Blue/Green books will be provided.
- Any student who shows up late or unprepared for their exam with OAE will NOT be compensated for the elapsed time - he/she must complete the exam by the time as scheduled and stated on the testing staff’s exam cover sheet.
- Students exam time begins promptly as scheduled. To protect the integrity of the test, if the student has not arrived at the testing location within 15 minutes of the scheduled time (according to the clock in the testing location) they may no longer be able to test on that day. If it is determined that the student needs to reschedule, it is then the student’s responsibility to speak with their instructor to reschedule the exam. Make-up exams follow the policy as indicated on the individual course syllabus.
- Students needing to reschedule or cancel an exam due to illness or an emergency, contact the Accommodations Coordinator at (408) 554-4109 or email email@example.com as soon as possible. Students will also need to notify the professor to negotiate an alternate time to take the exam. Make-up/reschedule of exams are subject to instructors and departmental policies.
- Rescheduling an exam is only done with the professor's approval. Once the request is received, it may take between 2-4 days to schedule exams requiring extended time only. Exams requiring additional accommodations such as a scribe may be delayed in scheduling until the required accommodation support can be secured.
- Students will receive the full allotted time if the professor is late dropping off the exam or if OAE is late in obtaining the exam. Depending on the amount of time lapsed, students may need to reschedule the exam.
- Students MUST have a university-issued ID card. ID may be held by OAE staff for the duration of the exam.
- Students are NOT permitted to make use of any aids (i.e., open notes, calculator, formula sheets, headphones, any electronic and/or recording devices, etc.); unless otherwise approved on the Alternative Testing Contract. While taking the exam, the students should have nothing on their desks except the test, essay booklet, answer sheets, and pen/pencil. Cell phones are to be turned off and put away.
- Students will be assigned to specific testing seats.
- Smoking, eating, and drinking are not permitted in the Testing room; unless approved as an accommodation(s).
- Exam breaks are not permitted; unless approved as an accommodation(s).
- All testing materials will be collected by OAE staff prior to dismissal: exam, essay booklets, scantrons, and/or scratch paper.
- In case of an emergency, all exams in progress will be stopped. After the building receives clearance, exams will resume. However, depending on the amount of time lapsed, students may have to reschedule.
OAE Exam Administration
OAE will administer exams in the following order of priority:
|1||Students receiving double time (2x)|
Students utilizing assistive technology accommodation(s)
|3||Faculty member having 4 or more students in a course section prescribed extended time|
|4||Faculty and the student who are not able to make suitable arrangements|
|5||All others will be scheduled on a first come first serve basis|
To schedule exams with OAE:
- Student logs into MyOAE.
- Student completes an Alternative Testing Request for each exam following the parameters specified in the Alternative Testing Contract.
- Student and faculty receive a confirmation email that the exam has been scheduled. Confirmation will be emailed 48 hours prior to exam date requested)
- Alternative Testing Request must be submitted no later than 4 weeks prior to the final scheduled date (approximately one month prior to the start finals). The finals schedule is available on the Office of The Registrar website.
- Students with late Alternative Testing Request(s) will be placed on a “Wait List.” Students on the “Wait List” will be scheduled on the first available date and time; OAE cannot guarantee the date and time originally requested.
- Finals schedule will be confirmed at least three (3) days prior to the first day of finals.
- Final exam are administered in various locations, please log MyOAE for exact location.
Personal Belonging while Testing with OAE
The following items are not allowed in the OAE testing center:
- Any products containing peanuts or tree nuts
- Any food products that have strong odors or loud wrapping/crunching noises (e.g. potato chip bags, baby carrots)
- Any cell phones or any electronic/programmable items (e.g. Apple watches, etc.)
- Any music or personal listening devices unless explicitly approved by the instructor in the Alternative Testing Guideline (ATG)
- Any oversized hoodies, sweaters, hats with brims
- Any testing item not specified on the testing staff’s exam cover sheet (be sure to follow up with your instructor to ensure OAE has the most up-to-date allowed testing materials for the exam)
OAE testing center will allow:
- Any beverages with lids
- OAE provided noise-canceling headphones and foam earplugs
- OAE provided analog desk clocks (upon request)
- Individual time notifications during the exam in the following increments:
- 1-hour remaining
- 30 minutes remaining
- 10 minutes remaining
- 5 minutes remaining
- End of exam time
OAE is not responsible for lost, stolen, damaged or unattended personal belongings and strongly recommends that students leave personal items and valuables at home. OAE staff shall not hold equipment, valuables or bags for students. No items should be placed directly in front of emergency access doors.
Service Dog while Testing with OAE
- Service dogs must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered and under the handler’s control, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.
- Service dogs in the Testing room must remain on the floor near the handler.
- Service dog needs must be taken care of prior to the beginning of an exam.
- Service dogs must not pose a disruption to other students in any way.
- Service dogs must be trained to behave properly in all OAE facilities, which include Testing. Inappropriate behavior that disrupts the normal course of business or threatens the health or safety of others will be required to discontinue testing and reschedule the exam pending professor approval.
- Service dog will not be provided care or food by OAE staff.
A service dog will be removed from Testing if:
- The service dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it.
- The service dog is not housebroken.
Student Conduct Code
Students suspected of cheating should expect the following:
- Exam time stopped Immediately
- Exam and all materials will be collected by OAE testing staff (students will not be allowed to complete exam)
- OAE will not reach out to the instructor regarding allowing the student to continue the exam at the time of the incident
- The instructor will be notified of suspicion and directed to pick up exam and all materials
- Incident will be reported by OAE to the Office of Student Life for possible violation of student conduct - Academic Integrity
- It will be at the discretion of the instructor whether or not to allow the student to complete the exam at a future date, proctoring of the exam in question will not be supported by OAE
OAE adheres to the University’s Student Conduct and Academic Integrity. Failure to comply is subject to disciplinary sanctions, including suspension of OAE test-taking services.
For more information visit:
Office of Student Life
Updated January 2017