Adjunct Lecturer, Information Systems & Analytics
Mahmoud Parsian is a software architect and author. He leads Illumina's Big Data team focused on large-scale genome analytics. He is a practicing software professional with 30+ years of experience as a developer, designer, architect, and author. For the past 15 years, he has been involved in Java server-side, databases, MapReduce, Spark, and distributed computing. Dr. Parsian is leading and developing scalable distributed algorithms for genomics data using Java, MapReduce, Spark, Snowflake, and open source tools.
Mahmoud Parsian earned his M.S. and Ph.D in Computer Science from Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
Dr. Parsian has published five books:
- Parsian, Mahmoud (2022). Data algorithms with Spark. O’Reilly.
- Parsian, Mahmoud (2019). PySpark algorithms. Amazon.
- Parsian, Mahmoud (2015). Data algorithms. O’Reilly.
- Parsian, Mahmoud (2006). JDBC Metadata recipes. Apress.
- Parsian, Mahmoud (2005). JDBC recipes. Apress.
Dr. Parsian's professional websites are: