The major in Child Studies offers a degree leading to the Bachelor of Science in Child Studies. The Child Studies major is designed for undergraduates interested in a career working with children in community or school-based settings.
The Child Studies major offers a ‘whole person’approach children with:
- Depth of knowledge of children in their contexts of school, family and community
- Innovation in cultural competence and humility and in the study of mindfulness with children
- A two-quarter sequence to expose students with skills to apply quantitative and qualitative research methods to real problems related to children
- Only 18 requirements—making additional specialization in a single subject or another major or minor possible with advanced planning
- Many opportunities to create specializations in topics within an area of interest such as psychology, public health, language, single subject teaching, etc.
- Innovative, best-practice preparation for careers with children in schools and community settings
- Opportunities to join research teams and promote social justice
Contact Barbara Burns, Director of Child Studies, to talk more about this exciting major!
To declare this major, fill out the SCU Registrar's Program Petition form.