The major in Child Studies offers a degree leading to the Bachelor of Science in Child Studies. The Child Studies major is designed for undergraduates interested in a career working with children in community or school-based settings.
The Child Studies major offers a ‘whole person’approach children with:
- Depth of knowledge of children in their contexts of school, family and community
- Innovation in cultural competence and humility and in the study of mindfulness with children
- A two-quarter sequence to expose students with skills to apply quantitative and qualitative research methods to real problems related to children
- Only 18 requirements—making additional specialization in a single subject or another major or minor possible with advanced planning
- Many opportunities to create specializations in topics within an area of interest such as psychology, public health, language, single subject teaching, etc.
- Innovative, best-practice preparation for careers with children in schools and community settings
- Opportunities to join research teams and promote social justice
Contact Barbara Burns, Director of Child Studies, to talk more about this exciting major!
To declare a major, fill out the SCU Registrar's Program Petition form.