The primary goal of the Modern Languages and Literatures Student Ambassador Program is to provide Santa Clara students and prospective students the opportunity to explore our language programs through the experience of a current student. As an ambassador, you will represent our Department, share your enthusiasm for languages with your peers, and spark interest for language education in the community. You will play an essential role in the recruitment of future students and re-engagement of our alumni. As part of this role, you will have the opportunity to gain experience in marketable skills and network with faculty. Being a language influencer can be a deeply rewarding opportunity on a personal level, but also in terms of academic enrichment and career growth. Units are awarded depending upon satisfactory performance and time committed to the program.
What does a Modern Languages and Literatures Student Ambassador do?
Though your role and level of engagement will vary, you will be expected to participate in outreach events and activities sponsored by the Modern Languages and Literatures Department throughout the academic year. Some regular duties may include:
- Serve on the Modern Languages and Literatures Student Ambassador Focus Group and provide feedback that will assist the department as we develop ideas for curriculum and program updates
- Informally advise peers on Second Language Core Requirement, minor, and major requirements
- Inform your peers about Modern Languages and Literatures events, courses, programs, scholarship and internship opportunities
- Assist faculty with outreach to high school students and campus visitors (e.g. conduct department tours and school visits, facilitate classroom presentations and guest visits etc.)
- Assist with Phi Sigma Iota Foreign Language National Honor Society
- Serve as a bridge to Modern Languages and Literatures Alumni (e.g. attend alumni and presidential events)
- Advocate for language education in the classroom and the community
- Develop social media content
- Represent the department in sponsored on-campus events such as: Preview Days, Open Houses, Welcome Week, Career and Study Abroad Fairs, Summer Orientation etc.)